By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda: Breath of the Wild Can Be Beaten Without Completing the Story

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild boasts a massive open worldthat can be explored in a variety of different ways. In fact, series producer Eiji Aonuma revealed that players can reach the end goal without experiencing the game's entire story.

"Users may not actually get the full story depending on how they play this game and how they strategize and solve puzzles," Aonuma told Polygon, adding that players will be "able to go to the very end goal without revealing why Link woke up the way he did and where he did."

https://gfycat.com/SharpFlamboyantImperatorangel

Aonuma also confirmed that players will be given the freedom to take on the final boss immediately after the game's opening sequence, but was careful to point out that he doesn't recommend this approach to those looking for the best experience.

"Anybody who can go straight to the goal without doing anything else," according to Aonuma, is either a "really good gamer" or "somebody that's a little crazy." That being said, he emphasized that completing the game in this manner is "not impossible," as the team "created the game like that" and "might be fun for fans to compete in a challenge for who can clear it first."

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild releases for Nintendo NX and Wii U sometime in 2017.

NNID : ShenlongDK
PSN : DarkLong213
Around the Network

Cool! This sounds like Chrono Trigger! I wonder if there's multiple endings now....

It'll probably be hard as hell to do. The players on the show floor could barely take out the Guardians. It's good that it's an option but whoever just does it to beat it is either insane or doesn't want to see why Hyrule is the way it is, which is one of the biggest draws for me.

And for people trying to compare it to Chrono Trigger and Lavos, no it's not like that at all. You had to at least beat Chrono Trigger once for the New Game + to show up.

I won't be the game that way, but it's a nice option.

Now that is what true open world is. Cant wait!!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

I've found in the past that the stories and lore I become most obsessed with are those that aren't spoonfed to you. There's nothing quite like unexplained surroundings and history to just fuel an overwhelming sense of curiosity, and having to dig for those answers makes them soooo much more satisfying when you find them lol

I'm really, really looking forward to this one; it seems like a cross between the OG Zelda, Wind Waker, and that Talos puzzle game with some survival elements thrown into the mix.

You got it the wrong way around. He's not saying that you can end the story without the main quest. He's saying you won't get the full story without the side quests. Which is the case for pretty much all RPGs though.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

How do I interpret this information? Can you complete the game immediately after waking up or not? Then what's the point of the dungeons, characters and exploring? I don't want to look on the internet how to not finish this game within a few hours. Sounds like a questionable decision to me.

vivster said:
You got it the wrong way around. He's not saying that you can end the story without the main quest. He's saying you won't get the full story without the side quests. Which is the case for pretty much all RPGs though.

Elsewhere they said you can go straight to the final boss at the start. I'm not saying this is objectively good (in my OPINION it is), but it's clearly about as far from the usual linear experience Zelda has offered in really every game following the original.

At the very least, it sounds very, very different from the usual RPG at this point; perhaps more akin to a Bethesda RPG.

Johnw1104 said:
vivster said:

Elsewhere they said you can go straight to the final boss at the start. I'm not saying this is objectively good (in my OPINION it is), but it's clearly about as far from the usual linear experience Zelda has offered in really every game following the original.

At the very least, it sounds very, very different from the usual RPG at this point; perhaps more akin to a Bethesda RPG.

If you can skip right to the final dungeon that would make all other dungeons optional. Seems fun for speed runners but we all know that no one plays open world games that way^^

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.