By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I must be getting old...

Because I just got motion sickness from a game...

A friend loaned me Ninja Gaiden Black and I popped it in for the first time this morning and played it for about an hour and a half. I stopped playing because it made me sick and light-headed. Good game, though. Hard as hell.

Has anyone ever had this happen with a game? Out of the thousands of games I have played in my life, only one other game did this to me... the original Half-Life, pre-patch. But I know in the case of that game, motion sickness was pretty common because of the framerate (later fixed by Valve). I have played every genre of games imaginable and only two have done this to me.

I think in the case of NGB, it's due to the camera. It will remain stable for periods of time and then suddenly rotate very quickly. I personally don't like the camera in the game.

So, has anyone else suffered from motion sickness in a game or is this just me? It's really a random thing to ask but after this morning, I'm kinda curious about it.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

ahh ninja gaiden on x-box imo one of the best games EVER it was so hard everyone had to step up their game playing that! after playing NG all the other "action, slice 'em up" games were LAME. ie Devil may b!tch

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

No never experienced that but even if I did I'm so hardcore I would vomit all over the console AND still keep playing!

i was playing doom 64 and then i read the instruction manual where it says you may experience dizziness and motion sickness.... then i just felt like i was gonna puke (horrible game though)

This is easy to explain, and it happens to many people, including those just watching FPS games.

Basically, there are two primary mechanisms the body has to tell the brain that it is moving:

- the eyes

- the ears

The eye bit is obvious - you see yourself moving, say, on a boat. The ears, however detect movement because of a liquid inside that moves/sloshes around when you move around.

The reason for the nausea (and I've seen some awful cases!) is because the eye sees the movement, but there is no sloshing in the ears! Hence, your eye tells your brain, "Hey, I'm moving around", but the ears tell the brain, "We ain't movin' nowhere fast!", and guess what? Your brain gets confused and nausea sets in.

This affects a minor percentage of the population; basically, if you get seasick, you will most likely get "FPS-sickness".

In short, it has nothing to do with your age, rocketpig, and happens to young and old alike - so feel free to feel as young as you like! 

Around the Network

I get seasick / carsick (not horribly) but never got motion sickness from a game (or plane). maybe I'm just not old enough yet =)

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Heh, it turns out that I ate something that made me sick... Ninja Gaiden had nothing to do with it. Playing the game just worsed an already-there condition. That's relieving. I really want to keep playing the game.

Amazing game and definitely very hard, I have two versions now and I'm getting the Sigma PS3 version when it comes out so that's how good this game is and no I don't think all action games are lame after playing this one, but this is one of the best... Never had the motion sickness problem.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

It is better now? I have your problem with Dragon Quest for PS2, I get a headache of it and feel sick.

konnichiwa said:
It is better now? I have your problem with Dragon Quest for PS2, I get a headache of it and feel sick.

Yep, all better now. I guess I'm not too old. :D