By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter: Take-Two's Strategy "Ill-Advised"

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9714&Itemid=59

By Kris Graft

Analysts have chimed in on Take-Two's latest rejection of Electronic Arts' $2 billion bid, with one calling Take-Two's decision to dismiss the bid "a mistake." New York-based Grand Theft Auto publisher Take-Two Wednesday morning advised shareholders to reject EA's $26 per share hostile bid, calling the offer "inadequate in multiple respects."

The publisher cited financial advisors Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers, who agreed with Take-Two's board, saying the offer was too low.

Wedbush Morgan's Michael Pachter, who had previously called EA's offer "more than adequate," disagrees.

"In our view, Take-Two's Board has made a mistake," he said in an investor note Wednesday. "We believe that the company was positioned to extract a higher offer from EA by offering a friendly transaction, and its Board chose to continue its adversarial posture."

He noted how EA's offer represented a 50 percent premium over Take-Two's pre-offer closing price.

Take-Two also said this morning that it would be exploring business combinations with other third parties, including EA. Pachter said that he thinks Take-Two "has virtually no chance of finding a better offer."

He added, "...We think that the strategy adopted by Take-Two's Board was ill-advised. Had they offered an olive branch, we think that EA may have increased its offer by $1 or more.  Instead, the Board chose to reject EA's offer."

Pachter said he expects EA to withdraw its offer if it does not gain majority control through a tender, with Take-Two shares dropping around 20 percent.

Pachter has a "hold" rating on Take-Two shares.

Stern Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia said that he expects EA's offer to go through despite Take-Two's rejection.

"Our view is predicated on the fact that no other bidder for [Take-Two] has emerged and that major activist shareholders of [Take-Two] have been substantially reducing their ownership position in the stock since EA’s offer," he said.

Bhatia currently has a "buy" rating for Take-Two.

Take-Two shares were down 2 cents Wednesday morning to $25.80.

Around the Network

Argh, finances. This is actually the one thing on the planet that I trust Pachter's word over my own, so I've nothing to add. =/

ditto

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

i dont know...i am torn here b/c are they considering how GTA sales will effect prices?

I think this was a good decision for T2, if GTA4 sells to what is expected it will bring in upwards of 300 million dollars and make the company a lot more valuable.

Around the Network
cwbys21 said:
I think this was a good decision for T2, if GTA4 sells to what is expected it will bring in upwards of 300 million dollars and make the company a lot more valuable.

Agreed, I think that's why EA was so quick to go hostile and make offers directly to the shareholders, because they know how GTA can affect the bottom line, and they want it to be their bottom line that is affected.

Someone explain to me what is going on with the OP

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1

Am I the only one who sees it?

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1