By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - 30 years ago today, the worst nuclear disaster in history happened...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36136286

Seems like ages already, yet it was barely a few decade's ago that the largest nuclear disaster in history occured. 100,000s of civilans have to abandon cities and towns, and it forever changed the landscape of the area. 

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network

The 30th anniversary of Chernobyl, not exactly the best memory to bring up ...

fatslob-:O said:
The 30th anniversary of Chernobyl, not exactly the best memory to bring up ...

Not all memories are good.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

I am not too knowledgable about Cheronobyl but I wouldn't call it the worst nuclear disaster in the history of man. Nevertheless its effects was catastrophic and definitely something to learn from in today's search for alternative energy fuel.

And yet environmentally, and human health-wise fossil fuels are worse than nuclear. it was an horrendous event for sure, yet people shouldn't get down on nuclear power as part of the solution for phasing out fossil fuels.

"There is no question,” says Joseph Romm, an energy expert at the Center for American Progress in Washington DC. “Nothing is worse than fossil fuels for killing people.”

A 2002 review by the IAE put together existing studies to compare fatalities per unit of power produced for several leading energy sources. The agency examined the life cycle of each fuel from extraction to post-use and included deaths from accidents as well as long-term exposure to emissions or radiation. Nuclear came out best, and coal was the deadliest energy source.

The explanation lies in the large number of deaths caused by pollution. “It’s the whole life cycle that leads to a trail of injuries, illness and death,” says Paul Epstein, associate director of the Center for Health and the Global Environment at Harvard Medical School. Fine particles from coal power plants kill an estimated 13,200 people each year in the US alone, according to the Boston-based Clean Air Task Force (The Toll from Coal, 2010). Additional fatalities come from mining and transporting coal, and other forms of pollution associated with coal. In contrast,the International Atomic Energy Agency and the UN estimate that the death toll from cancer following the 1986 meltdown at Chernobyl will reach around 9000.

In fact, the numbers show that catastrophic events are not the leading cause of deaths associated with nuclear power. More than half of all deaths stem from uranium mining, says the IEA. But even when this is included, the overall toll remains significantly lower than for all other fuel sources."

- New Scientist

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
t3mporary_126 said:
I am not too knowledgable about Cheronobyl but I wouldn't call it the worst nuclear disaster in the history of man. Nevertheless its effects was catastrophic and definitely something to learn from in today's search for alternative energy fuel.

Why wouldn't you call it that?  Is there a different nuclear disaster that you would call worse?

When I think about this, I hear this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vMIKPuyB7zw

Proud to be a Californian.

ebw said:
t3mporary_126 said:

Why wouldn't you call it that?  Is there a different nuclear disaster that you would call worse?

I think the active deployment of the bombs in Japan in WW2 was a diaster as a result of war that was worse than Cheronobyl which was unintentional. But maybe that's just subjective.

A very sad day that was. If only the employees were better trained. I believe, if I recall, the reason of the incident was because of hiring of people who knew little to nothing about nuclear power plants. It could have been prevented.

ebw said:
t3mporary_126 said:

nagasaki and hiroshima.