By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - soul caliber vs tekken

my housemate brought round a copy od soul caliber 3 for the ps2 the other day and we have been playing it quite alot, by playing it it reminded me of how good the soul caliber series is. so much so that i dug up my old soul caliber 2 on my gc and went to town on my housemates using link.

at the same time though it reminds me alot of tekken, but a simplier version. another one of my mates came around and she (yes it was a girl) said tekken is so much better then soul caliber and claimed it was her birth game! (even though i beat her regularly).

does anyone here have any preference? i personally am looking forward to the next soul caliber installment then the next tekken one.

wii friend code: 3164-3458-9149-5470

PSN ID: youjiro87

360 Gamertag: PM me to find out!

Around the Network

A lot of people hate Tekken because it's popular, although all fighting games are generally the same, so I just don't care anymore.

I have always been partial to Tekken myself.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

for me tekken has always been more of a button masher but I never played it that much so I might be wrong, I liked SoulCaliber2 a lot but for me its StreetFighter2 all the way... nothing can beat it... 3d fighers have been a big step backwards IMO... but maybe I´m just to nostalgic...

@ montana:   ......... just kidding... I´ll behave 

I personally like Tekken better. Virtua Fighter is one of my least favorites.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Around the Network

tekken has got some really interesting characters, maybe a little more then soul caliber. but i reckon overall sc is better. altough sc3 was average, 2 was amazing for the gc. oh and the dreamcast version as well. me and my friend wasted hours on that

wii friend code: 3164-3458-9149-5470

PSN ID: youjiro87

360 Gamertag: PM me to find out!

I don't know about this soul caliber game you talk about. Now Soul Calibur 2 is great, and I don't see how it's that much simpler than Tekken. There's less combo crazyness, but characters tend to be more versatile, barring the few Tekken characters with 3 or 4 stances. Tekken is also a bit quicker, which makes it less strategic IMO.

I'd rather play either of them over DOA though.

Tekken is a button masher. Thats why alot of people liked it. It's not as skillful as others.

But here Soul Calibur kicks Tekkens arse hugely.

Top beat em ups.

Soul Calibur 2

Virtua Fighter 5

Fighters Destiny

Tekken 3

soul calibur 1 on the dreamcast is the best of the series it was a much more balanced game then SC2, you could beat anybody using any characther something still possible but much more difficult in the 2 game

and the sound of SC1 beats SC2 by far it was so powerful that it made you believe you were at an arcade

SC3 is the worst so far a fun game, but worst then SC2 and much worst then SC1

Tekken over Soul Calibur anyday. In any fighter you should try to look for fighter balance and Soul Calibur got unbalanced on 2 and then insanely unbalanced for the third. Tekken isn't perfect but it has a balanced lineup of characters. Neither are better than Dead or Alive or Virtua Fighter in my opinion. Virtua Fighter is balanced to a fine degree and no fighter ever made has put so much emphasis on keeping the engine and characters like this. This is why SEGA AM2 always sticks with a two chaaracter update because they need to make sure their two characters can stay balanced and have unique fighting styles. This is why Virtua Fighter series will always be the king.

With that said, 3D fighters are garbage compared to 2D ones, as i'll take the new Guilty Gear, Street Fighter or King of Fighters over any of those titles anyday. Bring on Arcana Hearts! 

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.