By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Rick Rolling

Alright I guess I'm a few days late on this but

At a women’s basketball game at Eastern Washington University on March 8th, student Pawl Fisher organized a rickroll of the game. "Never Gonna Give You Up" was blasted through the gym, while actor Davin Perry danced dressed in the attire worn by Astley from the music video to the song. Fisher told The New York Times: "I want people to rickroll even bigger events, like the Super Bowl ... I hope people do it better than I did."

ssj12 probably knows all about this.

In connection with the online meme, "Never Gonna Give You Up" was played and performed at some of the Project Chanology February 2008 protests against the Church of Scientology. At February 10, 2008 protests in New York City, Washington, D.C., London, Edinburgh and Seattle, protesters played the song through boomboxes and shouted the phrase "Never gonna let you down!", in what The Guardian called "a live rick-rolling of the Church of Scientology". In response to a website created by Scientologists showing an anti-Anonymous video, Project Chanology participants created a website with a similar domain name with a video displaying the music video to "Never Gonna Give You Up".

All of this is awesome!!!

For thoose of you who don't know

In May 2007 the song's campy music video became the basis of an Internet meme known as "rickrolling". It took its name from a 4chan meme known as "duckrolling", a prank in which someone would post a blind link to a post, allegedly relevant to the discussion, that upon viewing would prove to be a non sequitur - specifically, an image of a duck on wheels. Similarly, in a rickroll a person provides a link they claim is relevant to the topic at hand which actually takes the user to the Rick Astley video. The practice eventually became widespread enough to attract some coverage in the mainstream media.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1
Around the Network

Interesting... but I have a feeling that the further Internet humour and real life collide and intertwine, the less and less funny internet humour will seem.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

LuLZ

Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

Yep, that's a pretty good stunt.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
stof said:
Interesting... but I have a feeling that the further Internet humour and real life collide and intertwine, the less and less funny internet humour will seem.

Hehe I think it's great when mainstream media like The New York Times quotes on internet humor.

The ultimate rick roll.

^That's awesome too.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1
naznatips said:
stof said:

Hehe I think it's great when mainstream media like The New York Times quotes on internet humor.

Oh sure, now that we're in the first few days of rick rolls. But this is one issue where I take the slippery slope approach. And oh what a slippery slope it is. It may start out as a Rick Roll against Scientology, but by the time the 2012 U.S. election rolls around, President Obama will be making statements like "Over my last 4 years in office I'm increased employment by OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!!"

Shortly after, the internet will be quarantined to save what little actual humour remains in our depraved, lol cat picture infested world.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said:
naznatips said:
stof said:

Oh sure, now that we're in the first few days of rick rolls. But this is one issue where I take the slippery slope approach. And oh what a slippery slope it is. It may start out as a Rick Roll against Scientology, but by the time the 2012 U.S. election rolls around, President Obama will be making statements like "Over my last 4 years in office I'm increased employment by OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!!"

Shortly after, the internet will be quarantined to save what little actual humour remains in our depraved, lol cat picture infested world.

So long as you're here Stof, the internet will never be without it's exclusive humor. ;)