By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Who remembers DOS?

All this Mac vs PC stuff just made me remember when I was a kid working with DOS.

Ahh.. DOS. Once long after we'd had windows our neighbors finally got a computer... the only problem was that it only ran in DOS. So their kids had to have me come over so I could show them how to play all their games. Not to mention FIND the games already on the system... but hey i did it with the school systems so i was able to do it there.

Man accessing a DOS computer that you knew nothing about was a pain. Or at least it was at my age back then... and if you forgot exactly where you saved something, man the search was annoying.

Anyone have any fun DOS stories?

Around the Network

i used it last weekend.... jsut goto run and type cmd.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:

Hah.  Yeah, but it's a lot different when it's your ONLY opperating system and you have to do everything through it... believe me.

I used to run a lot of older games through DOS.  But when DOS is your only option for everything... 

c:\notpron>format c:

I remember things like that. My favorite was how cool I thought it was that you could switch the monitor colors between R G and B. I can't even remember the names of the games I played. Oh and those 5 inch floppys. Man that brings back memories.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1
Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
ssj12 said:

Hah.  Yeah, but it's a lot different when it's your ONLY opperating system and you have to do everything through it... believe me.

I used to run a lot of older games through DOS.  But when DOS is your only option for everything... 

i know, my second PC ran Windows 3.1 ie DOS based Windows.

My first was an apple =P oh ya I own.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

The graphics on that game were so incredible when it was released. 

Before I switched to PC's in the late 386/early 486 era, I was a Commodore 64 user as well as an NES gamer. :D

Ah, the days of playing Civilization, Syndicate, X-Wing, and so many other classics. *^u^* I remember when we got a Sound Blaster card, and suddenly X-Wing had voices in the opening and cut scenes. My friends dropped their jaws. ^u^

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Remember it? I've got games that won't work without it (damn you, XP!!!) But yeah, my first PC had DOS as the main operating system and Win 3.1 was there for the things that didn't run without it.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

I remember it... but I was young...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."