By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2015 (Your #1 Favorite Game)

Cloudman said:
Leadified said:
mZuzek said:
Cloudman said:
Leadified said:
I really haven't been around too often but I think it's time to get back into it for the last 16.
The hint for #16 is....

"It's hard to imagine that this game was originally going to be the last game in this very popular series."

Fire Emblem Awakening

Well Fire Emblem isn't really a very popular series...

My guess is Melee.

It's not Melee either, it is a Nintendo franchise though.

Pokemon Silver/Gold

That's right but you already knew before hand, silly Pokemon trainer.

Around the Network

Where Nintendo ventured into new areas during the 7th Generation, we would thankfully still get entries into some of their most revered series. Among them the 3D Mario platforming adventures and what we got with 'Super Mario Galaxy' was one of the prime examples in the genre as a whole.

Like any Mario game, Mario needs to rescue Princess Peach. Bowser has taken her and the castle into space however and each level is a different "galaxy". The levels mostly revolve around a collection of planetoids around which Mario can move in a spherical motion. The concept was actually tested briefly in 'The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess'. This gameplay idea gives the game a very fresh premise, which is instantly interesting in the way it opens up new gameplay and surprising level-design. There are however also classic-styled 'flat' levels and slides, plus additional collectable Stars for which special objectives need to completed, which means the game offers plenty of platforming variety.

Besides that, the small confined spaces made for the Wii to even be able to unexpectedly shine in a graphical way, and the game doesn't look out of place next to games from the much more powerful competitor systems. The second game looked even better, but I feel the hub-world and the hidden story in this game, makes it come out on top. In any case, 'Super Mario Galaxy' made a strong case to me in favor of console gaming.

I have a feeling all these guys' games are Nintendo ones:

Cloudman said:

Hint 16 is the game that revolutionized 3D gaming and set the standard for other to follow.

Mario 64?

CWegzz said:
Hint #17: This is the first entry in a really popular series that also spawned a really popular anime series.

Pokémon Red/Blue?

BraLoD said:
17. You use guns in this game, all the time, but not in the way other games uses guns, and not that kind of guns in other games either.

Splatoon?

And then of course:

TruckOSaurus said:
S.Peelman said:

I didn't really expect anyone would get that last game beyond what Teeqoz guessed. No biggie, this is not the final one in my list that's obscure like this! The next game isn't though, that one's very well known;

Though this series' creator tried to hide it claiming it didn't really need it, the game does features quite the nice bed-time story if the player cares to look for it.

Super Mario Galaxy

As you see, Super Mario Galaxy was, of course, correct!

S.Peelman said:

Cloudman said:

Hint 16 is the game that revolutionized 3D gaming and set the standard for other to follow.

Mario 64?

CWegzz said:
Hint #17: This is the first entry in a really popular series that also spawned a really popular anime series.

Pokémon Red/Blue?

BraLoD said:
17. You use guns in this game, all the time, but not in the way other games uses guns, and not that kind of guns in other games either.

Splatoon?

And then of course:

TruckOSaurus said:
S.Peelman said:

I didn't really expect anyone would get that last game beyond what Teeqoz guessed. No biggie, this is not the final one in my list that's obscure like this! The next game isn't though, that one's very well known;

Though this series' creator tried to hide it claiming it didn't really need it, the game does features quite the nice bed-time story if the player cares to look for it.

Super Mario Galaxy

As you see, Super Mario Galaxy was, of course, correct!

Correct on Red/Blue

Wii U NNID:  CWegzz
3DS Friend Code:  4210-5277-5484
PSN:  Ronnoc4
Steam:  CWegz

Alright, 16 already. Yeesh, we're almost through already...

The cold and snowy intro turns out to chronologically be a little past the middle of the story.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
S.Peelman said:

BraLoD said:

Splatoon?

Nope.
It also is not a Nintendo game xP

Second hint: The game next to this one in the franchise is acclaimed as one of the best JRPGs ever. Even as they are niche.

Lol, guess my compass was off then . I'm afraid I barely know a thing about the jRPG genre other than that some series are immensely complex. It seems to be a thing in this thread to ask in these cases the following though; "Is it an SMT game?"

Your compass wasn't off, Uncharted 2 is right!

3 hints for this obscure game.

17 Hint 1: Strategy game.
Hint 2: Magic is used for smart advisor people, weapons for the generals.
Hint 3: Unlike the other 2 games in the series it is based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms era.

^^
Lol this was funny, I still unknowingly got fairly close XD

Clyde32 said:
#18 - Vacation gone wrong.

It's a gamecube game.

Clyde32 said:

It's a gamecube game.

Super Mario Sunshine?

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334