By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Consoles a Luxury now ? : /

what is more of a Luxury for you?

Consoles and handhelds 111 52.11%

PC and Mobiles 101 47.42%

Total:212

Last Gen most people considered PC gaming a luxury saying that a decent gaming PC which is worth to build or to buy cost too much, it was viewed as a luxury by a lot of people i had conversation in person or on the interent. Now its the opposite in this generation, if i ask someone why you dont want to play bloodborne they say a PS4 is too expensive for just this or that exclusive. The same people who build their gaming PCs and spent almost the same money for a graphicscard like they could for a console. The mobile people its the same story, no problem buying a new apple phone for 600€ but a dedicated game system is too much for them.

Around the Network

Gaming as a whole is a luxury. It's unnecessary and exists for entertainment. It serves no necessary function for the survival of people. It is a luxury through and through, regardless of which facet of it costs more.

LuckyTrouble said:
Gaming as a whole is a luxury. It's unnecessary and exists for entertainment. It serves no necessary function for the survival of people. It is a luxury through and through, regardless of which facet of it costs more.

This. 

At first I thought the OP's signature was part of his post. It makes sense.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

Console gaming was always a luxury. And people are finding it hard to justify a $300+ purchase for a console especially all those casual gamers. Another reason why the console industry is dying.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
Console gaming was always a luxury. And people are finding it hard to justify a $300+ purchase for a console especially all those casual gamers. Another reason why the console industry is dying.

yeah but the truth is a graphicscard which makes the switch for PC gaming worthwile costs you at least 300$. And smartphones arent taking much of my freetime that i am so depedent on spending on a new one any way similiar like on a new console

LuckyTrouble said:

Exactly. We've simply grown so comfortable in modern era that luxuries have blurred with necessities.  We all just expect people to have televisions and microwaves in their homes these days in developed countries.

Ruler said:

Last Gen most people considered PC gaming a luxury saying that a decent gaming PC which is worth to build or to buy cost too much, it was viewed as a luxury by a lot of people i had conversation in person or on the interent. Now its the opposite in this generation, if i ask someone why you dont want to play bloodborne they say a PS4 is too expensive for just this or that exclusive. The same people who build their gaming PCs and spent almost the same money for a graphicscard like they could for a console. The mobile people its the same story, no problem buying a new apple phone for 600€ but a dedicated game system is too much for them.

A phone and PC allow you to do a lot more then just game so people can justify the cost. On top of that gaming on the PC you can subtract the cost of paying to play online and games are much cheaper. Hell if you really wanted to you could not pay for any games and pirate almost everything. I don't suggest doing that but it is a possibility.

LuckyTrouble said:

Yep, this.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

method114 said:
Ruler said:

A phone and PC allow you to do a lot more then just game so people can justify the cost. On top of that gaming on the PC you can subtract the cost of paying to play online and games are much cheaper. Hell if you really wanted to you could not pay for any games and pirate almost everything. I don't suggest doing that but it is a possibility.

yeah but Handhelds and consoles are giving you way more quality with trophys, exclusives and simplecity and ownership