By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More hints of AMD's Potential Partnership with Nintendo on the NX

Ugh, backwards compatible. I fear this will hold once again the console.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

When did Nintendo make the leap to x86?

Pavolink said:

What??? I love backwards compability, thats what makes xbox one and PS4 less appealing imo. though xbox one has some sort of backwards compablity, it has a long way to go.

It's a smart move by Nintendo, even if it may impact BC or whatever. Their biggest issue lately aside from the power difference between themselves and their competition is the difference in architecture (and we do know that that makes a difference, having seen the PS3's early struggles). Using AMD, means they'll be much much closer to the PS4/XB1 architecture and porting games will be far easier.

Good on Nintendo, I think.

97alexk said:
Pavolink said:

What??? I love backwards compability, thats what makes xbox one and PS4 less appealing imo. though xbox one has some sort of backwards compablity, it has a long way to go.

The PS4 does have backwards compatibility. It's called PS Now.

OP: It's great to here that Nintendo is more likely to partner with AMD which means an Android based system may not be in the works.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network
Pavolink said:

Would you like NX to suffer even worse 1st party gaps than the WiiU did?

Aside from Zelda, we're still several years away from either a new Smash or Mario Kart -- the things we know are needed to push the NX

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Mr.Playstation said:
97alexk said:
Pavolink said:

The PS4 does have backwards compatibility. It's called PS Now.

OP: It's great to here that Nintendo is more likely to partner with AMD which means an Android based system may not be in the works.

They say they could make use of software-based, rather than hardware based emulation, meaning the new chip could very well be x86.

That and no, PS Now is not backwards compatability, it's a paid streaming service.

IamAwsome said:

Would make sense as most modern PowerISA chips are server grade Power8 chips (and upcoming Power9) and Nintendo takes power consumption to heart.

WolfpackN64 said:

They say they could make use of software-based, rather than hardware based emulation, meaning the new chip could very well be x86.

That and no, PS Now is not backwards compatability, it's a paid streaming service.

Software emulation is unlikely. Currently you need a strong i5 to properly emulate an Wii.

Wii U is too strong to emulate via software for the time being.

IamAwsome said:

It hasn't... as the same article says four paragraphs later.

To be honest, the article is quite bad and with a lot of mistakes (IBM has never been a competitor to AMD's APU chips because their business is in the business and server market, not the personal computer one).

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.