By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Violence In Games

Does anyone here think violence in games has any affect on the person playing? For me, I think it does, but not to the extent some media-people say. For example, just because someone plays games with violence, they're not going to shoot up a school because of the game exclusively. There's larger factors that cause the shootings rather than the games. But I think that someone might be more prone to wanting to be violent in some way.

But I want to know what the people here think, so explain your thoughts!

Can't wait for The Zelder Scrolls 3: Breath of The Wild Hunt!

Around the Network

I used to play shooting games like Call of Duty all the time.

I'm perfectly fine...

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

I don't think that violent video games have any affect on the person playing the game. If a person acts out the violent scenes which take place in these video games, it's probably due to the fact that he had a problem from the start rather than that problem having been created due to the violent video games.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Don't think it has a major effect unless you're playing for a long period of time and a younger age. As long as you remain mature about it and don't spend all of your time playing them, I don't think it'll really doesn't affect people.

PixelPerfect said:

Don't think it has a major effect unless you're playing for a long period of time and a younger age. As long as you remain mature about it and don't spend all of your time playing them, I don't think it'll really doesn't affect people.

I mostly agree, but I think there sub-concious factor too.

Can't wait for The Zelder Scrolls 3: Breath of The Wild Hunt!

Around the Network

The luck factor is far more violence-inducing than any amount of blood and gore.

I think the people that would act out what they play have mental issues anyway. I'd think it just as likely that content in a violent movie could trigger such an individual just as easily (or nearly so).

If it does something to you subconsciously, I don't know what it is. And it's probably no different than what violent power fantasy movies do.

I think it's a question of age. If you are mature enough, you won't probably be affected. But if you're not, I think it's, at least, not healthy. It depends on the person, really, I played GTA3 like hell when I was young and I'm sane, I think xDDD.

Well, the FBI doesn't think that violent video-games cause real-life violence, so I'll go with that.

""It's my experience that video games do not cause violence," explained O'Toole. "However," she continued, "it is one of the risk variables when we do a threat assessment for the risk to act out violently.

"It's important that I point out that as a threat assessment and as a former FBI profiler, we don't see these as the cause of violence, we see them as sources of fuelling ideation that's already there.""  http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-02-25-former-fbi-profiler-video-games-do-not-cause-violence

I like to think that they've put a bit of thought into this conclusion, so, yeah.