By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Wii component cables: which one, which one?

I know that there was a thread about this not too long ago, but I don't know if this was brought up. Is there a difference between the brands? I mean should I go with the "official" nintendo cables or should I buy a generic cheap cable online? Any advice?

Around the Network

get the Nintendo brand their a higher quality there the brand i use.

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99

The difference between the different component cables is price.  Otherwise, there is no significant difference.  A copper cable is a copper cable -- if one with thicker, there'd be less resistance and you *might* get a cleaner signal.  But I believe the cables at www.monoprice.com for $6 are the same guage as the Nintendo branded cables for $25.

Get the $6 cables from monoprice. 

^agreed its a digital signal and i read that it cant bleed like ana did

Ok, I was leaning towards that because I didn't know if the off-brand cables could risk damage in some weird way... I have heard rumors of off-brand accessories somehow damaging their nintendo products... Just wondering if the risk:reward was great enough to warrant buying cheap cables online... nintendo brand cables are like 35.00 where I am, so just looking to save some cash.

Around the Network

^ i ahve the cheap cables and it lets it do 480 p no problem

k, thanks mesoteto.

mesoteto said:
^agreed its a digital signal and i read that it cant bleed like ana did

Actually, component cables offer an analog signal. The reason why they're able to transmit widescreen/progressive scan/etc. is because the component standard allows for downgraded digital signals to be transmitted over an analog connection.

Therefore, I'd go with the official Nintendo ones. For analog cables, you really do get what you pay for.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Always get the cheaper because there really is no difference.

It's always funny to see the people buying the $100+ dollar HDMI cables when they could get them for $6. When you ask them about it they usually say well it was $100 so it's obviously better!