By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Who would rather see a price drop than 60gb?

So I'm one of those on the border of getting the 360 but at the same time wanting a 50-100 dollar price drop. Is anyone else in the same boat and would rather see cheaper SKUs than a 60gb or wanting more space to compete with the PS3?

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

Around the Network

If I were in the market for a 360, I would prefer the extra hard drive space. I mean it is $50, but what good does it do you when you have to constantly delete stuff because your hard drive is too small? I am willing to pay extra to not have to deal with it.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

The pricecut is definitely the best. The 20gb hd is actually not too bad spacewise. I have a lot of stuff on it and I still have space. If I need more space I can always delete some of the demos I have on there. It's not like anything is really installed on the hard drive (e.g. PC/PS3 games), so space isn't as much of an issue.

If you really need the space you can always go for the Elite which has a 120gb hd...

The price drop usually affects all skus so even the Elite comes down in price making that a more affordable option. 

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

akuma587 said:
If I were in the market for a 360, I would prefer the extra hard drive space. I mean it is $50, but what good does it do you when you have to constantly delete stuff because your hard drive is too small? I am willing to pay extra to not have to deal with it.

What if the price cut was also for the Elite system (not the actual one in Europe, but a hypothetical one here)? 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I suspect when they bring in the 60gb in the USA, they will actually reduce the price as well. The price cut won't be as big, but I think you'll be able to have your cake and eat it too:)

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

Both are still rumors so who's to say if one, both, or neither ever happen?

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection

The point here is that a 60GB hard drive is not much more expensive than a 20GB at all. There are lots of costs in a HD (casing, spindle, motor, etc) that dont depend how big the platter is.

So cost to microsoft is probably like $25 for a 20GB HD, and $30 for a 60GB HD. There is not much difference at all. When 360 was first announced there may have been more difference, but now laptop HD prices have dropped and 20GB is no longer even made for laptops any more. They probably have to be specially made for 360 in fact.

It's the same reason why Sony uses a 40GB in the 399 PS3. The cost is surely roughly the same as for 20GB. Costs dont start to go way up until you get to 80, 100, 120GB.

So basically a 60GB HD upgrade is almost free, so there is no "choice" here between the 60GB or a price drop. This move is a no brainer by ms.