By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Britain makes camera that "sees" under clothes

LONDON (Reuters) - A British company has developed a camera that can detect weapons, drugs or explosives hidden under people's clothes from up to 25 meters away in what could be a breakthrough for the security industry.

The T5000 camera, created by a company called ThruVision, uses what it calls "passive imaging technology" to identify objects by the natural electromagnetic rays -- known as Terahertz or T-rays -- that they emit.

The high-powered camera can detect hidden objects from up to 80 feet away and is effective even when people are moving. It does not reveal physical body details and the screening is harmless, the company says.

The technology, which has military and civilian applications and could be used in crowded airports, shopping malls or sporting events, will be unveiled at a scientific development exhibition sponsored by Britain's Home Office on March 12-13.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080309/tc_nm/security_britain_technology_dc

Around the Network

Get some of those cameras into my glasses and I'm set!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

Cool. Maybe soon it wont take an hour to get through security in the airport.

And the title is wrong. The sensor detects T-rays. These rays are not blocked by clothing. Saying it "sees" under clothing is like saying my cell phone "sees" through walls.

stick that in my glasses then stare at my science teacher all day

im serious. i would do it.

There's no picture in this article.
Where are the pictures.
I need proof!

Around the Network

Teenagers need to read past the topic title.

This is old news, i've seen the same stuff on the news about 1year ago. They had it at some airport or something. The news guy had to cover his junk so it was not on the camera.

how did he cover it?

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies