By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 and Java?

Hi, first post here iirc, so hey :)

Just something im interested in, i have a Wii and although i like the internet channel that comes with it, its not really possible for it to stream videos or download Java onto it. Im interested in playing a MUD through it but as i said, its just not possible (i think?). I would like to know whether or not i can download a Java client onto a PS3 and play a MUD (discworld MUD so you know) through that as my computer is broken atm. No worries if you cant, just thought here would be a good place to ask :)

Games i'm currently playing:

Around the Network
Nairu said:

Hi, first post here iirc, so hey :)

Just something im interested in, i have a Wii and although i like the internet channel that comes with it, its not really possible for it to stream videos or download Java onto it. Im interested in playing a MUD through it but as i said, its just not possible (i think?). I would like to know whether or not i can download a Java client onto a PS3 and play a MUD (discworld MUD so you know) through that as my computer is broken atm. No worries if you cant, just thought here would be a good place to ask :)

Nintendo is suppose to be releasing a newer format for the opera, however certain places (since we can't name links to streams) have the streams already doenloaded and you can watch from your Wii,(without downloading Java)

Hmmm, sounds interesting but i dont think it would work for the MUD as it requires you use a client to access the information, would definately need to be downloaded i believe :S Ive looked around but found no information regarding client downloads. Just thought it may be capable on the PS3 as it has a substantially larger amount of memory. Anyone on a PS3 tried this?

I saw a side-by-side comparison of the PS3/Wii browsers a while back - and I believe the Wii browser won in every area. That said, there is plenty of scope for the PS3 browser to be upgraded - so Im sure you'll get Java support... eventually (within 2 years...). Otherwise, just install Linux and go for it!

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Linux? Im pretty slow on internet tools (hence the reason why i use Java rather than any other MUD clients hehe) but could you explain a little bit about it? Would i be able to access this from my Wii or is it a PS3 only thing?

Around the Network

PS3 allows you to install Linux on your hard drive which basically turns it into a dumbed-down PC that can do just about everything a PC can, including probably run your MUD. Linux is an OS similar to Windows but free.