By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rocksmith 2014 - Anybody else here play it?

Rocksmith 2014 has been out on the other systems for a while but just came out for the Xbox One and PS4 in November. I've had it since then, and it is outrageously awesome. Picked up a second cable for it and play two player with my wife all the time. We trade back and forth on the bass and the lead. I've started getting a lot of DLC for it. I can't believe how well it works. Makes Rock Band 3 and its expensive 'pro' guitar look like a joke. In fact, I sold my RB3 pro strat for like $400 and got a Les Paul Black Beauty with it. It works with the game, and it's the most beautiful guitar I've ever had. Makes me sick to think how much money I wasted on Rock Band 3 thinking the guitar tracking would be good. But this game is all that. Any of you play, on any platform?

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
I was looking at this for my daughter who is keen to learn guitar. Is it useful for absolute beginners? Is the bundled guitar version available for xbox one?

This is definitely something that can take someone from absolute beginner status forward. It even has a set of tutorials and videos for people who have never played before, everything from 'how to hold the guitar,' how to put on a strap, all the way up through advanced techniques. This is very definitely a game for people who want to learn how to play the guitar, not a 'game.' I'm not sure about a bundled guitar version. The thing is, this game works with real guitars, it comes with a $20 cable that lets you plug right into the xbox. (Additionally, the cable will plug into a PC and let you record direct from the guitar.)

So they might make a version with a guitar bundled in, but you could just as easily pick up a solid beginner guitar for a decent price and get the bundle with the cable. I actually bought the game digitally, and ordered a used cable. The cable from the first Rocksmith and this new one are identical and interchangeable, as well.

The game includes parts for Rhythm guitar, Lead guitar, and bass, so technically you can consider an inexpensive bass as an option, too. 

This game is pretty great, just bought it a few weeks ago. I also own a bass and guitar, so nice to switch it up.