By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thread about Mario Kart snaking (not a typical one)

*My Main Point is seperate from my Sub Point*

**Sub-point dead now dead; ignore it**

Main Point

I'd first like to say that this thread is NOT about whether you like snaking or hate it. This thread is questioning the validility of some pro-snaking arguments that I've heard (which I guess would support the anti-snakers, but again, this is not the goal of the thread).

Onto the substance. I've heard many, many arguments with snaking at the center; why it is good, why it is bad, whether it was an unintended effect of mini-boosts, or if it's been a key part of the franchise since the N64... And that is where my argumens beings: MK64.

I have heard people say that they have been snaking since the MK64 days, back when it was supposedly called "Straight stretch mini-turbo". I never really thought much about those claims, but something always bugged me inside when I heard someone say those things. I owned MK64 since it was first released, so the mechanics of the game are very familiar to me.

A few days ago, I finally tried to snake in MK64 and realized why that notion always bugged me. Here is my main point:

You cannot snake in Mario Kart 64.

I also have it on the VC for the record and I tried everything in all versions, and could not do it. You swerve out, plain and simple. What you COULD do is make very wide attempts at it, but it would be more effective to just stay on course. In other words, even if you could do it during long wide stretches, it wouldn't be worth it.

There are NO videos online proving that you can do it in MK64 as well. All you will ever find is people CLAIMING it can be done in forums and threads, but no proof to back their claims up.

So, can any of the pro-snakers explain this to me? Why is MK64 constantly used as an argument that snaking was meant to be in the game, when in actuality you cannot do it in MK64? Can anyone prove to me that you can in fact snake in MK64? I don't think anyone can, but feel free to show me up on the issue.

I actually have a small theory on snaking. This may be a stretch, but let me explain...

Sub-Point

I never, ever, EVER heard anything about snaking until MKDS was released. Not once did I hear "Hey you can snake in MK64" or "Dude, did you know you can snake in MK:DD?" before the release of MKDS. So this is what I'm saying: Snaking was only discovered (en masse) in Mario Kart DS. After it became widespread in MKDS, people tried snaking in MK:DD and discovered it could work to a degree, but not as well.

Knowing that it could be done in MK:DD, people began using MK:DD as support as to why snaking in MKDS is legitimate, even though no one really used it in MK:DD before. This loose connection between MK:DD and MK:DS snaking, then spawned an ever looser, unchecked... well, lie, about MK64 to further 'strengthen' pro-snaking arguments.

In short, people began lying on forums claiming such and such, other people believed such and such, and accepted it as truth.

Like I said, a stretch, but I'd certainly like to hear what other people think.

Synopsis

- Show me proof that snaking consistently was possible in MK64 without swerving out.

- Be truthful, did you ever snake in MK:DD before knowing it could be done in MK:DS?

- Did you even know what snaking was before MK:DS? Was MK:DS the first time you EVER heard of it? (Again, be truthful)

- This thread isn't about whether snaking is right/wrong, but the origins of snaking and possible debunking a myth about the Mario Kart franchise (snaking in Mk64).

Thoughts, anyone?

By life end:

• Wii- 100 million+
  • Xbox360- 35~40 million
  • PS3- 30 million
  • PSP- 30~32 million ------------- FAILURE
  • NDS- 85~90 million (Skeptical)  - FAILURE
  • NDS- 100 million+ (Optimistic) -- Success!

Around the Network

I just re-read the Mario Kart physics page (http://tasvideos.org/SuperMarioKartPhysics.html)

There was a boost similar to the red turn/blue sparks even in the first game. You got it by holding L/R or Right/Left and accelerate for a specific period of frames. No need to alternate left and right.

All it appears to me is that boosts have always been in the game, just made more and more accessible through the itinerations. If you watch the video of the tool asisted Mario Kart speed run, rediculous speeds are possible using that boost. Annoying perhaps, but stuff like that have always been there.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Yes, I did know about it(although I didn't know what the name of it was) and did try snaking some in Double Dash. This was before I knew about MK:DS.
I found out about it during the time trial modes; The ghosts that you can race after decreasing your time enough use it.

Edit: I never played MK:64, so I can't help you there.

@Fuzzmosis

I'm not talking about whether or not Power Boosting is in the game, I'm talking about whether the snaking technique was possible or not in MK64.

By life end:

• Wii- 100 million+
  • Xbox360- 35~40 million
  • PS3- 30 million

what is snaking? doing power boosts in a straight line many times alternating sides?

if so, then I did snake a lot in mario kart double dash even before mkds or even the ds were out.

Around the Network

So it seems that my Sub point has been trashed. Oh well. My Main, and most important point remains.

I'm still waiting for all those people who claimed they were snaking since Mk64 to come around and explain themselves. Will I have to start digging up topics and naming names? :p

By life end:

• Wii- 100 million+
  • Xbox360- 35~40 million
  • PS3- 30 million

it was a natural step in double dash, when you play a game with your friends that much, you have to start learning new techniques, we all snaked in my group of friends, when someone entered the mario kart group he learned to do it really quick or he would be left behind... good times.

in 64 era, i couldnt even do the boost without going out of course, in DD you have more control over your car.

I only have MK64 and DD, I never snaked on straight track, but I did use the drift/slide technique a lot, like in the Mario circuit (the one with the chain chomp and the goombas)... in the bit near the start where the chain chomp is I always drifted all the way along that long curve, keeping just far away enough so that the chomp couldn't reach (which seemed to be further with each lap)

As far as I can tell the actual drift (with blue sparks) is no faster than simply going in a perfect straight line, it's only faster to snake because you get a mini boost when you complete each drift.