By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NamcoBandaiKoei (Could it happen)

Well well I never saw this comming but then again I never saw the first one comming either. Could NamcoBandai Holdings pick up Koei as the next addition to the publishers enterouge?

About two years ago Namco began taking a friendly additude to Bandai. At the time companies like North American super giant EAGames were getting ready to make advances into Japan. Companies like Konami , Square-Enix  and Capcom were beginning to become a very big threat. Both publishers were starting to worry about the futures of each others companies.

So to everyones suprise Namco and Bandai merged officially in late 2005 I believe into NamcoBandai Holdings. The merger saw toy manufacturer , Television show producer and game publisher Bandai merge with game super giant Namco. The merger created the second most powerfull if not the most powerfull games publisher in Japan.

It all started when Namco and Bandai began to collaberate on projects, co-developing and talking buisness with one another. Well lately NamcoBandai Holdings has been talking buisness with Koei. Koei is becoming an increasingly powerfull publisher in Japan. The recent creation of Koei Canada opens the floodgates for North American developement. NamcoBandai have lacked a solid North American studio for some time.

So NamcoBandai officially liscensed Koei with the Gundam franchise which is one of NamcoBandai's most profitable and influential franchises. The title Dynasty Warriors :Gundam is set to come to North America shortly and will mark the beginning of a powerfull friendship.

So with Koei now having a Canadian studio and going to a more international status would they be a worthy asset for NamcoBandai to pick up? Since NamcoBandai plan to become the EAGames of Japan would a take over or merger with Koei be very smart? Is this developement a coincidence or do you think I'm on to something? 

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

If I had to pick the smartest acquisition partner for Koei, I'd go with EA. EA could break into Japan, and Koei could break into the west. Namco, however, would make a pretty good partner, though I would view this current situation as looking too deep into something that probably doesn't exist.