By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - More teenagers ignoring CDs, report says

More teenagers ignoring CDs, report says

48% of teenagers bought no CDs at all in 2007, up from 38% in 2006. Music downloads continue to grow, though, with iTunes leading the way. 

SAN FRANCISCO -- Nearly half of all teenagers bought no compact discs in 2007, accelerating the music industry's painful transition from CDs to digital downloads, according to a report released today.

One big beneficiary: Apple Inc. Its iTunes music store, which sells only digital downloads, jumped ahead of Best Buy Co. to become the No. 2 U.S. music seller. Apple trailed only Wal-Mart Stores Inc., which mostly sells CDs.

The music industry has grappled with how to replace its rapidly disappearing CD sales with digital downloads. The report by research firm NPD Group offered a window into how quickly the change was happening and who was leading it.

The amount of music legally bought from online music stores was up -- 29 million people bought music online last year, a 21% jump from 24 million in 2006. But that boost didn't offset the drop in CD sales and the effects of people illegally downloading music. Last year, about 1 million consumers stopped buying CDs, according to NPD.

Going to a store and buying a CD is no longer a rite of passage for many teenagers. But illegally downloading a song might be. Last year, 48% of teenagers did not buy a single CD, compared with 38% in 2006. And illegally downloading music continued to grow among teenagers, the report said.

The average Internet user acquired 6% more music last year via legal downloads, CDs and illegal file-sharing, the report said. But they spent 10% less on music -- $40 per user, compared with $44 a year before.

The report underlined a generational split. The increase in legal online sales was driven by people age 36 to 50, the report said, giving the music industry an opportunity to target these customers by tapping into its older catalogs.

source: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-music27feb27,1,5116325.story

---------

interesting....to me at least. 

Around the Network

I've never bought a CD in my life and I'm 16. I get all my music from friends or use imeem.com

Oh, crap, scratch that. I bought one CD digitally once: In Rainbows by Radiohead.

this still doesn't mean DD is going to be here for a long time. A 4MB song is way different then a 70MB song and definitely different then a 900MB TV episode or 4GB movie or a 45GB HD-Movie with HD audio.

Still good that the RIAA wont have much power in the music industry soon.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Im shocked people still buy cd.

Can you blame them? A skipping, easily scratched media form controlled by companies that ensures that less popular albums by new and original artists cost way more.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
I never buy CDs.

YouTube FTW!

You clearly need to grow up. Musicians need money to survive you know, support them sometime.

Ari_Gold said:
Soriku said:
I never buy CDs.

YouTube FTW!

You clearly need to grow up. Musicians need money to survive you know, support them sometime.

A lot of artists get most of their money from touring. Aside from the major seller's, CD's tend to be more for the record company than the artist.

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said:
Ari_Gold said:
Soriku said:
I never buy CDs.

YouTube FTW!

A lot of artists get most of their money from touring. Aside from the major seller's, CD's tend to be more for the record company than the artist.

thats why i always buy my CDs @ shows

Ari_Gold said:
stof said:
Ari_Gold said:
Soriku said:
I never buy CDs.

YouTube FTW!

thats why i always buy my CDs @ shows

touche.

ssj12 said:
this still doesn't mean DD is going to be here for a long time. A 4MB song is way different then a 70MB song and definitely different then a 900MB TV episode or 4GB movie or a 45GB HD-Movie with HD audio.

Still good that the RIAA wont have much power in the music industry soon.

hehe, well at least one person saw through my thinly veiled guise and got to the heart of my post.

...but every time i bring up DD all i hear is 1) zomg file sizes are too big to download and 2) the consumer can't live without the physical copy and cover art.

well....this article is just a nugget of knowledge against #2. 

and i posted this before (don't feel like digging up the old thread) but it's a nugget of knowledge against #1.

super high speed internet (up to 1.2 Gb/sec)http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/02/23/japan.satellite/

...it's coming.  my excitement grows.