By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft CEO Nadella: don't confuse Xbox with company's "core"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/07/15/xbox-not-a-core-part-of-microsofts-business-ceo-says/

“I want us to be comfortable to be proud of Xbox, to give it the air cover of Microsoft, but at the same time not confuse it with our core.”

A little disappointing to hear that line, but seeing as the the Xbox division isn't nearly as profitable as the other businesses that Microsoft has, it's hard to blame them. He does praise the Xbox as more of a side division, but says that the company's core is defined with the cloud and mobile world first.

"At our core, Microsoft is the productivity and platform company for the mobile-first and cloud-first world. We will reinvent productivity to empower every person and every organization on the planet to do more and achieve more.”

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network

Whoa. Now that's interesting. Executives at his level rarely make statements without reason. Seems like he wants to distance "Microsoft" from "Xbox" a bit. Probably a bit worried that the problems with the Xbox One might influence perception of the company as a whole.

Amazon Xbox 180 incoming! j/k :)

Yikes... That's an awfully negative statement...

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

That's why they were so into multimedia, apps and always online on Xone. They actually want that Xbox brings 'Microsoft experiences' to people, not exactly games. That's why I also don't trust them so much when we talk about games.

3DS, Wii, PSP, Vita, PS2, PS3, PS4 & Steam.

Around the Network

Well, this is just me personally, but I like Windows a lot better than Xbox and I really want them to focus more on Windows than anything else tbh. Like, 2015 is when Windows 9 is suppose to come out and windows 8 for me was a mixed bag so when they release windows 9, I really hope they fix some of the issues

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Why would that disappoint you? You seriously think that Xbox was anywhere near as important to them as Word, Office, or Windows? Xbox will never be their core. That's like being disappointed in Nintendo for saying that Amiibo isn't their core.

Ouch! :/ he really shouldn't have said that.

@Sales2099 come here and try to spin this please!

Edit: Moderated - Starcraft

spemanig said:
Why would that disappoint you? You seriously think that Xbox was anywhere near as important to them as Word, Office, or Windows? Xbox will never be their core. That's like being disappointed in Nintendo for saying that Amiibo isn't their core.

Disappointing in how he worded it, I suppose. Usually executives would skirt around the topic, but this was kinda harsh, especially for all the employees in the Xbox department that are still waiting to hear if they've been layed off. And I did mention it was just a small component of Microsoft, in my defense.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC