By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How does RE4 connect to the previous (and future) chapters?

I'm sure everyone is aware of how Resident Evil 4 was completely different from its predecessors not only in its gameplay, but also in the story it featured. Umbrella is mentioned throughout the game, and some characters return, but at first glance, the story of Las Plagas seams totally separate from that of Umbrella (hereafter referred to as Umbrella Chronicles, because that game summarizes it all). But is it?

A couple of interesting things: (if you haven't finished RE4, then watch out for spoilers!)

-Oswell Spencer and Osmund Saddler? Those names are too alike to be a coincidence. Maybe I'm just imagining things, and since Saddler apparently dies I don't believe that they are the same person, but could there be a link?

-Wesker is after Las Plagas. As seen in the ending of Umbrella Chronicles, he has installed himself into a room with a large computer, featuring all data and research Umbrella has gathered throughout the years, and seems to be going for world domination through virus research (probably following in Spencer's footsteps). From there, he sends Ada Wong and Krauser to retrieve the Plagas specimen. When Ada finds it, she doesn't send it to Wesker, but to 'the organization'... what is this organization? It's highly unlikely that it is Umbrella in some form, but still...

-The creatures in RE4 often resemble creatures from the Umbrella Chronicles, with the T-Virus replaced by Las Plagas... the so-called Novistadors are like Chimeras without T-Virus, Salazar has dogs in his garden that are just like RE's famous dogs... Is this because the makers didn't want to invent more new enemies, or are they somehow linked to Umbrella?

I realize that you can't know any of this for sure, but I'd like to hear a few educated guesses.  

I drink your milkshake.