By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Time for me to get a 360... what model do I get?

I have always intended to get a 360... someday... and I feel that day is now approaching.

My birthday hits in about 2 weeks - and I can feel a 360 brewing. There are just enough games out now for the 360 to make me want one / need one - and some of the online services (such as movie streaming) are also very tempting.

A few of my friends have 360's - so I won't have any issues getting access to games.

The question is - do I start with the Arcade model - pocket the remaining money, and just restrict what I can play - or shell out another $150+ for a Pro model?

$399 for an Arcade model - hopefully a reliable model...? Can I buy an external hard disk for this later on? 

$549 for the Pro model - the only extra thing it comes with that I need, is the HD/AV cable. I don't care much for media playback on the 360 (have a DVD player that does everything). But this might change with streaming movie support?

I might even look on Ebay for a decent package. The objective is to get a "working" 360 for as little as possible - so I can play a few games (Mass Effect, Banjo Kazooie, GTA4, RE5 and a few more... online gaming is not a priority).

Any comments or suggestions? (and don't bother suggesting I get a PS3 instead - it doesn't have most of the games I want, and costs a lot more)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

I don't own either, but If the HD/AV cable is all you need from the Pro pack, maybe check if its possible to get it seperately (someone here will probably be able to inform you of that), and it'd come out to a much better value with the arcade 360, considering you don't need the extra features of Pro

The RROD modell?

I heard it´s the best one out there and about 33% of xbox owners have bought it.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

vaio said:
The RROD modell?

I heard it´s the best one out there and about 33% of xbox owners have bought it.

harhar,

not funny =( 

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Pro model. Keep an eye out because places like JB are intermittently doing good pack-in deals (your in Australia right?). The reason I say definitely pro is because you will want the DLC for GTAIV. Also, I wouldn't put it past MS to allow an HDD to be mandated for some games in the near future, so this model is a little more future proof (no console is remotely future-proof, but you know what I mean).

You CAN purchase and add an HDD later on, but it will cost more all up, and might be a hassle. Also, PLAY KAMEO. My god that was a fun little platformer, and can be found for $20-25 second hand. Bioshock as well.

Edit:  By add and HDD I mean you can purchase an MS HDD (20gb or 120gb) and stick it on later.  You cannot use a third party HDD. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

Do you live in america? The elite is only 450.

But go for the pro. If you don't have a hard drive, you can't play Halo 3 on-line co-op. And you'll want a hard drive for demos and XBL games. And no, external hard drives you can't save on, but you can play videos, and music from them, but no, you can't transfer them to your 360.

Also, as the pro has easily the highest sell-through, your far more likely to get one of the latest models. I don't know if you are a PC gamer, but if you are not then there is one online game on the Xbox 360 that will require and HDD you may be interested in (I know I am). Its an MMO called APB. Read the IGN first-look preview, but have tissues handy to wipe up the drool.

Well Shams, have you decided?

Thanks for the info all. Looking on Ebay - and there are heaps of decent Pro deals ($250+) - but I'm guessing a lot of those would be RRoD models, chipped or similar.

I honestly could live without the hard disk - I think I'd be more annoyed by no wireless controller, and running out of space on the memory card (for save games).

At least one of my friends was going to trade up soon (to an Elite?) - and mentioned that I could buy his Pro when he does.

(I'm in Australia by the way - Arcade around $400, Pro around $580, Elite $730, Halo $680 approx)

I wonder if the Halo models are more reliable - since they *must* be relatively new production units?

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Hey Shams, I'm at your old University!!!!!