By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - AMD is working on a brand new x86 CPU core

If AMD were to leave the x86 marketplace it would be a disaster for consumers with Intel gradually increasing their margins. Their R&D budget would shrink and they could dictate the rate of improvement without the pressure of a major competitor capable of stealing the market from them.

At the bottom end of the market AMD to some excellent APU's that combine good processing power and a reasonable gaming gpu that makes entry level gaming computers possible. Consumers have a lot to be thankful for to AMD.

Around the Network
Soleron said:

http://anandtech.com/show/7991/amd-is-also-working-on-a-new-64bit-x86-core

They're also making a custom ARM core with it. There's few specifics as of yet, but they intend to target future consoles (what they call "semi-custom"). A great deal of AMD's revenue currently comes from the PS4 and Xbox One so it makes sense that they'd design it towards that.

This is a big deal because it was uncertain if AMD would continue to make chips for desktops/servers at all. They haven't announced new designs in these areas for a few years.

This is great news for the PC market if the new product can be competitive. They will however need to make up a 40%+ deficit in single thread performance against Intel, and they will only have access to very much inferior process tech to do it (Samsung 22nm BEOL+14nm FEOL hybrid vs true Intel 14nm).

I am so excited!  Hopefully CPU's can become at least half as competitive as the GPU wars are (Where they basically just one up each other back and forth).

Intel has already proven with Medfield that x86 can scale down to the same power requirements as ARM, with better performance thanks to intels fabrication prowess.
And with binary translation... Can also run ARM based apps too.
However outside of a few select tablets/phones like the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1, Intel has had little success.

As for 64bit specifically, it's not really needed, sure Phones are not far away from pushing past the 4Gb of Ram barrier, but 32bit can extend pass that limit, the extra transisters spent on 64bit could have been spent on better cores.
Where the real advantage of having 64bit ARM cores is mostly in the server space, which is a *massive* and lucrative market, one that Intel will try to continue to control by throwing it's latest Atom cores at.

I can't wait for AMD to finally ditch the slow and power hungry FX based processors, Intel's quad-cores are faster than AMD's Octo-cores.

Define "Quad-core."  Now that games and apps are utilizing 8 cores fully this really isn't true.  The FX-6300 is just a hair below the weaker i5's, and the FX-8350 is in between an i5 and i7.  Yeah, the i7 beats the FX-83xx, but it does so by using hyper threading so I wouldn't necessarily call it just a "Quad-core."

This come from someone who has owned/used an i5, i7, and 8320.

bonzobanana said:
If AMD were to leave the x86 marketplace it would be a disaster for consumers with Intel gradually increasing their margins. Their R&D budget would shrink and they could dictate the rate of improvement without the pressure of a major competitor capable of stealing the market from them.

At the bottom end of the market AMD to some excellent APU's that combine good processing power and a reasonable gaming gpu that makes entry level gaming computers possible. Consumers have a lot to be thankful for to AMD.

I wish IBM would just jump in and stomp Intel.  They currently have an 8-core cpu and through hyperthreading each core can read 12 lines of code each for a total of 96 threads!  Oh and it runs above 4 GHz...

Captain_Tom said:

Intel has already proven with Medfield that x86 can scale down to the same power requirements as ARM, with better performance thanks to intels fabrication prowess.
However outside of a few select tablets/phones like the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1, Intel has had little success.

As for 64bit specifically, it's not really needed, sure Phones are not far away from pushing past the 4Gb of Ram barrier, but 32bit can extend pass that limit, the extra transisters spent on 64bit could have been spent on better cores.
Where the real advantage of having 64bit ARM cores is mostly in the server space, which is a *massive* and lucrative market, one that Intel will try to continue to control by throwing it's latest Atom cores at.

I can't wait for AMD to finally ditch the slow and power hungry FX based processors, Intel's quad-cores are faster than AMD's Octo-cores.

Define "Quad-core."  Now that games and apps are utilizing 8 cores fully this really isn't true.  The FX-6300 is just a hair below the weaker i5's, and the FX-8350 is in between an i5 and i7.  Yeah, the i7 beats the FX-83xx, but it does so by using hyper threading so I wouldn't necessarily call it just a "Quad-core."

It is true, even in heavily multi-threaded tasks, Intel's quad-core processors, literally continue to wipe the floor with AMD's octo-cores.

I can limit applications to 4 threads on my Core i7 3930K and even in instances such as encoding which is VERY CPU heavy and can make use of as many threads as you can throw at it... It still wipes the floor with my Phenom 2 x6, old AMD FX 8120, AMD FX 8320 with all cores utilised on the AMD processors.

The irony of it is, Haswell would be faster than my Sandy Bridge-E in cases where up-to 4 threads are being used, by probably 20% or more.

The other take away is, lightly threaded applications (They exist and continue to be released) will always be favored massively on a Core iX than an AMD processor.

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/698?vs=287

Captain_Tom said:
bonzobanana said:

I wish IBM would just jump in and stomp Intel.  They currently have an 8-core cpu and through hyperthreading each core can read 12 lines of code each for a total of 96 threads!  Oh and it runs above 4 GHz...

Intel's cores are easily better than IBM's, remember, clockspeed became irrellevant years ago for comparing CPU performance.
If IBM truly did have a powerhouse of a CPU, then they would be controlling a much much much larger share of the lucrative server pie, which values absolute performance over power in many scenario's.

Also, Intel has 8 and 16 core Xeon's.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Captain_Tom said:

Intel's cores are easily better than IBM's, remember, clockspeed became irrellevant years ago for comparing CPU performance.
If IBM truly did have a powerhouse of a CPU, then they would be controlling a much much much larger share of the lucrative server pie, which values absolute performance over power in many scenario's.

It's not all about having higher IPC's either ... Once you need ridiculously large vectors that demand AVX-1024 the IPC argument becomes totally worthless as most applications are simply don't have this structure to take advantange of the high amount of instruction level parallelism. 

http://abinstein.blogspot.ca/2010/09/ipc-myths.html

Despite the fact that abinstein has a clear bias for AMD he's absolutely right about this issue. (This abinstein is probably the same one from AMDZone.) 

The only way we could probably realistically increase single threaded performance in the future is that we would basically need to increase the clocks or get instruction set extensions dedicated to increasing single threaded performance. 

I'm not sure if you would consider this to be a powerhouse but here it goes ... Each Power8 core has 2 VMX units and likely 4 single precision floating point units which basically means that the processor at hand is capable of 12 Fused Multiply-Add instructions so each core can pull off 24 flops/cycle. With 12 cores all clocked at 5 Ghz would mean that it can do 1.44 Teraflops tops! No that is not small and I think this may have being the first commercial CPU to do that. (Aside from the xeon phi ofcourse.)

I would agree with you about IBM controlling alot more of the server market than it has now because of more power but the tools and everything else is so much better on the x86 side of things. 

Pemalite said:
Captain_Tom said:

It is true, even in heavily multi-threaded tasks, Intel's quad-core processors, literally continue to wipe the floor with AMD's octo-cores.

I can limit applications to 4 threads on my Core i7 3930K and even in instances such as encoding which is VERY CPU heavy and can make use of as many threads as you can throw at it... It still wipes the floor with my Phenom 2 x6, old AMD FX 8120, AMD FX 8320 with all cores utilised on the AMD processors.

The irony of it is, Haswell would be faster than my Sandy Bridge-E in cases where up-to 4 threads are being used, by probably 20% or more.

The other take away is, lightly threaded applications (They exist and continue to be released) will always be favored massively on a Core iX than an AMD processor.

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/698?vs=287

You call this whipping the floor:

http://www.bf4blog.com/battlefield-4-retail-gpu-cpu-benchmarks/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-4960x-ivy-bridge-e-benchmark,3557-5.html

Like I said it is inbetween the i5's and i7's.  I don't know what benchmarks you are running.  I never claimed it would win in lazily threaded apps.

Captain_Tom said:
bonzobanana said:

So you just don't think it can compete at all?  I mean I'll just agree to disagree on that one lol.  Oh and IBM has 12 core CPU's at 5 GHz that run 12 threads each (On 22nm).  If you don't think that would stomp a measily 30 thread  (It has 15 cores buddy) at 3.8 GHz you really are an Intel Fanboy.

Responses in bold.  I have all Intel btw but that doesn't mean I believe they are god...

User was moderated for this post - Conegamer

fatslob-:O said:
Pemalite said:
Captain_Tom said:

It's not all about having higher IPC's either ... Once you need ridiculously large vectors that demand AVX-1024 the IPC argument becomes totally worthless as most applications are simply don't have this structure to take advantange of the high amount of instruction level parallelism. 

http://abinstein.blogspot.ca/2010/09/ipc-myths.html

Despite the fact that abinstein has a clear bias for AMD he's absolutely right about this issue. (This abinstein is probably the same one from AMDZone.) 

The only way we could probably realistically increase single threaded performance in the future is that we would basically need to increase the clocks or get instruction set extensions dedicated to increasing single threaded performance. 

I'm not sure if you would consider this to be a powerhouse but here it goes ... Each Power8 core has 2 VMX units and likely 4 single precision floating point units which basically means that the processor at hand is capable of 12 Fused Multiply-Add instructions so each core can pull off 24 flops/cycle. With 12 cores all clocked at 5 Ghz would mean that it can do 1.44 Teraflops tops! No that is not small and I think this may have being the first commercial CPU to do that. (Aside from the xeon phi ofcourse.)

I would agree with you about IBM controlling alot more of the server market than it has now because of more power but the tools and everything else is so much better on the x86 side of things. 

I wasn't actually talking about IPC specifically. :P
Intel and AMD as well as to a lesser extent, via... Actually spend more transisters on trying to hide latency and bandwidth deficits with various technologies than actuall compute hardware.
And for a good reason!

When IBM had it's PowerPC based processors inside the Mac, there was allot of flamboyant chit-chat with enthusiasts of how superior IBM PowerPC based processors were when compared to x86, in the end, when Apple switched processor architectures, there was stupidly massive gains in almost every area.
Granted, that was many many years ago and architectures of both camps have changed drastically since then.

Unfortunatly, we can't run 3D mark to find out how they compare. :P

Captain_Tom said:

You call this whipping the floor:

http://www.bf4blog.com/battlefield-4-retail-gpu-cpu-benchmarks/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-4960x-ivy-bridge-e-benchmark,3557-5.html

Like I said it is inbetween the i5's and i7's.  I don't know what benchmarks you are running.  I never claimed it would win in lazily threaded apps.

Anyone that has played a frostbite powered game, will know that even though it can utilise a ton of threads, doesn't mean it will utilise them all to it's greatest extent.
When CPU benchmarks like that are compressed, that usually implies a GPU bottleneck.

However, if you *really* wan't to see an Intel Core i7 hex core stretch it's legs whilst gaming, then run a heavily threaded game like Battlefield, throw an encoding job into the mix on a couple of cores, run Xsplit and a few other programs to bog the CPU down a bit.

An AMD system, regardless of it's clocks, will fold, it's the MAIN reason I shifted to a Core i7 3930K in the first place on my primary machine and in most instances, when all 12 threads are utilised I can see performance gains of in-excess of twice my Phenom 2 x6 and old FX 8120 systems.

Shall I run some benchmarks? I do have all the rigs in front of me.

Captain_Tom said:
So you just don't think it can compete at all?  I mean I'll just agree to disagree on that one lol.  Oh and IBM has 12 core CPU's at 5 GHz that run 12 threads each (On 22nm).  If you don't think that would stomp a measily 30 thread  (It has 15 cores buddy) at 3.8 GHz you really are an Intel Fanboy.

I was positive that calling someone a fanboy, even implied was a wrongfull offense on this forum?
Besides, how am I fanboy when I own more AMD systems than Intel? Or more ARM powered devices than x86? A fanboy implies that I would buy into a certain product line regardless of the competion, which simply isn't the case.

And you're putting words into my mouth, at this point there is no point continuing this discussion as it's moved beyond intelligent discussion and started to drop down into name calling.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Hope AMD land on its feet, the technology industry needs them to keep nvidia and intel in check.

Pemalite said:

I wasn't actually talking about IPC specifically. :P
Intel and AMD as well as to a lesser extent, via... Actually spend more transisters on trying to hide latency and bandwidth deficits with various technologies than actuall compute hardware.
And for a good reason!

When IBM had it's PowerPC based processors inside the Mac, there was allot of flamboyant chit-chat with enthusiasts of how superior IBM PowerPC based processors were when compared to x86, in the end, when Apple switched processor architectures, there was stupidly massive gains in almost every area.
Granted, that was many many years ago and architectures of both camps have changed drastically since then.

Unfortunatly, we can't run 3D mark to find out how they compare. :P

I know that you weren't talking about IPC specifically but I heavily interpreted it like that because of your past on placing high importance on it so sorry if I was being overly defensive/aggressive about it.

You are definitely right about Intel and AMD going to great lengths to increase interconnect capabilities.

Well on the brightside Intel has kept x86 especially relevant.