By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - NVIDIA's New GeForce 9600 GT is a WINNER for Many

There's still the Guru3D review of a bunch of different partner 9600gt's in my post above.

Around the Network
IllegalPaladin said:

Hmm, an upgrade from my 7800gt found?

BFG is looking very nice to me right now because my BFG 6800 GT that I bought for my parents computer years ago mainly for Half-Life 2 (among other games) finally died recently and due to their lifetime warranty, I got a whole new one for free like two days after mailing the old one back to them.

Yup, BFG and eVGA are my 2 favorite manufacturers for that reason!  I absolutely hate the idea of spending a wad of cash on a video card and having it crap out on me...lifetime warranty FTW!

To Each Man, Responsibility

Nice card!
I was expecting something like this. :)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Sqrl said:
IllegalPaladin said:

Hmm, an upgrade from my 7800gt found?

BFG is looking very nice to me right now because my BFG 6800 GT that I bought for my parents computer years ago mainly for Half-Life 2 (among other games) finally died recently and due to their lifetime warranty, I got a whole new one for free like two days after mailing the old one back to them.

Yup, BFG and eVGA are my 2 favorite manufacturers for that reason! I absolutely hate the idea of spending a wad of cash on a video card and having it crap out on me...lifetime warranty FTW!

And not to mention I could probably pawn it off now for like $50-75 since we're probably not going to have any use for an AGP card anymore once I put all my old parts back into my old case and give that to my parents. Make a little money to help get something else I'd say. 

Wow just looked through that Guru3D review and the eVGA swept the competition in pretty much every category...and they said it runs cooler as well. Judging by the pics it looks like its among the smallest of the cards tested and they all had basically identical noise output so in short they did a fantastic job.

I'm sure it will be priced a bit higher to boot of course...how much higher will determine if its worth it but its still impressive from an engineering standpoint.

Around the Network

I got an Nvidia newsletter on an email last week. I've been very curious, but my friends from Uni never answered my question before, so I'll ask it here. Are you able to upgrade your graphics card on your laptop? I have an Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS on my laptop. I was wondering if you can switch out the cards and all. I mean, FFXI runs fine on it and everything, though (I only get lag when there is a large group of players huddled together, but I guess it's due to only the game and not my graphics card).

Naraku_Diabolos said:
I got an Nvidia newsletter on an email last week. I've been very curious, but my friends from Uni never answered my question before, so I'll ask it here. Are you able to upgrade your graphics card on your laptop? I have an Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS on my laptop. I was wondering if you can switch out the cards and all. I mean, FFXI runs fine on it and everything, though (I only get lag when there is a large group of players huddled together, but I guess it's due to only the game and not my graphics card).

The answers is a pretty solid "No". 

In a laptop the most you can usually upgrade is the Hard Drive, Memory, and possibly swap back and forth between different external storage devices (ie Optical drive, floppy, card reader, etc..)...although most laptops now days don't offer floppy, have the card readers built in and a DVD burner comes default.

ssj12 said:
im waiting on the 9800GX2 or 9800GTX

Same, i cant wait for those to come out.

I need to upgrade my card one of these days. I'll probably for for a 9800 over the summer.

makingmusic476 said:
I need to upgrade my card one of these days. I'll probably for for a 9800 over the summer.

A 9800GTX is an 8800GTS with very slightly higher clockspeeds. Is that what you want?

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.