By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "it was only when Wii emerged that video gaming truly took off"

supermario128 said:
To long to read for me, sorry.
 Don't waste everyone's time posting then, spammer. 

Around the Network

This article is wrong. it says halo 3 was the best selling game of 07, I thought pokemon diamond/pearl were?

dabaus513 said:
This article is wrong. it says halo 3 was the best selling game of 07, I thought pokemon diamond/pearl were?

You left out the important part... "in America" which makes it correct.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

The author assumes Blu-Ray to be a far bigger key in the video game war than it truly is. He's misplaced the HD war as an equal parallel to the video game war.

It then goes on to question whether "Play-Station 3 reclaim its crown as the world's most popular video-game console?"

First, the PS3 never was the most popular so it has nothing to reclaim. If they mean Playstation as a brand perhaps they forget it is really Nintendo's crown to reclaim in the first place.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
The author assumes Blu-Ray to be a far bigger key in the video game war than it truly is. He's misplaced the HD war as an equal parallel to the video game war.

It then goes on to question whether "Play-Station 3 reclaim its crown as the world's most popular video-game console?"

First, the PS3 never was the most popular so it has nothing to reclaim. If they mean Playstation as a brand perhaps they forget it is really Nintendo's crown to reclaim in the first place IMO

Around the Network
ArtofAngels said:
ferret1603 said:

*snip*

"[Sony] will do everything it can to come back from the brink," he said. "You'll see pricing, bundled with Bluray discs and TVs. It's seen as more as a media centre for your living room that can play games as well."

It's seen as a games console more than anything you f**king knob, I don't know anyone who bought it mainly becuase of it's Blu-Ray capabilities, I'm sure overall 3% must of bought it just for that, hardly *more*.

Of the six people that I know personally with ps3s (including myself), one of them bought it primarily for Blu-Ray, with the intent to game on the side, and one of the bought it solely for Blu-Ray.  That's 33% in my own little circle. Granted, the people I know don't represent the entirety of the ps3 install base, but go to places like AVS Forums and you'll see that there are many people out there who bought a ps3 primarily because it is the best Blu-Ray player on the market. 

It may not be 33%, but it is definitely higher than 3%.  Probably closer to 10, if I had to guess.

Also, remember that HDTV penetration is much higher in the US and Japan than it is in Australia, so in these regions the inclusion of Blu-Ray in the ps3 is probably taken with far more consideration.

Viper1 said:

First, the PS3 never was the most popular so it has nothing to reclaim. If they mean Playstation as a brand perhaps they forget it is really Nintendo's crown to reclaim in the first place.

If you're going to start arguing about who came first, you can't ignore Atari.

Although video games have been a relatively insular activity, it was only when Wii emerged that video gaming truly took off. To date, more than 21 million households have purchased Nintendo's console, lauded for its innovative wireless remote-control interface.

The great kernel of truth

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Although video games have been a relatively insular activity, it was only when Wii emerged that video gaming truly took off. To date, more than 21 million households have purchased Nintendo's console, lauded for its innovative wireless remote-control interface.

Playstation was the first home console to hit 100 million and ps2 was the second..... Sony made games a house hold name not nintendo. and when 1 non sony, nonportable gaimng system hits 100 million call me.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
If your 250+ million Wii prediction comes true, that statement will have some truth to it. As of now, it's just a baseless claim. The Wii is certainly a great success, and will be bigger than the PS2, but it has not come anywhere NEAR fulfilling that potential. You may want to add "...yet!" to which I say "EXACTLY!"

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!