By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Songwriters Association Proposal Could Destroy Itunes! Legalized Piracy!

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=eabaeca1-ff1a-4ba5-a883-4beecc040456&k=26931 

The Songwriters Association of Canada will reveal a proposal Thursday that would see every Canadian's monthly Internet bill increase by $5 in exchange for the ability to download as many "illegal" music files as they choose.

The association says its proposal, which would require federal approval, would wipe out the need for music-selling websites such as iTunes.ca and PureTracks.ca, making it legal for one person to share a music CD with as many people as they wish.

This morning I woke up to BT (canadian morning tv show) telling me of a new bill that would impose a $5 levy on my internet connection because of pirated music... the first thing that came to my head was "I havn't pirated music since I graduated college, but I sure as hell will be pirating if you charge me $5/month..."

Shitty way to wake up.. but then I read up on the proposal... and well as you can see above.. its not that bad of a deal. I can download whatever song without legally for just $5 a month. That's freaking awesome! Sure it sucks for those like my parents who have never pirated music. But I think I might take the time to teach them if this bill passes through... If their going to get charged for this "feature", I might as well show them how to use it.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

Well, it's the Songwriters Association, not CRIA, so you know this solution actually works for musicians. I do kinda wonder how they decide to distribute these funds. When I download tracks by my favourite indy band, will they get the cash or will Bryan Adams get another buck?

All the music I want for $60 a year would certainly reduce my music spending. I easily drop that much on a typical trip to the record store. And this sounds much better than the DMCA on 'roids that CRIA is trying to pass.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Wrong forum.

LOL. Pretty funny if thats true. I may have to start pirating music as well...I hope it gets passed.

I see Apple kicking and screaming against this bill.