By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony's stretegic successes and blunders

Successes

-Graphics.  Sony's graphics are improving and we are getting some better games very soon.  Nuff said.

-Blu-ray.  The cell is going to be doing double duty for blu-ray movie duties and game CD's.  That is great, b/c it saves technophiles money instead of making them buy another peice of hardware.  Ultimately the price of the blu-ray portion of the PS3 is going to go waay down to manufacture.  So this will be a big strength for sony, within 3-5 months.

-Software.  I would call this a strength, but a limited and less strong of a strength.  Sony's exclusive games for the remainder of 2007 look a lot better than the 360's exclusives but not as nice or as plentiful as the wii. 

-Improved demographics -  More high-def TV owners will mean more PS3 sales.  Also, the average age of gamers is older these days, which should help sony ( and microsoft too for that matter)

Blunders-

-The upcoming eye toy is going to be a failure.  In order for it to work, sony would have to encourage interactive games, the kinds of games that nintendo is known for.  This will be a big shift in sony's philosophy and I don't think that they can play nintendo's game at this point.

-The PSN.  This thing, so far hasn't done a whole lot with itself.  The PSN has a lot of potential to rival Live, but sony seems to want to be mediocre in this department.  I hope that HOME and Warhawk will make the whole online thing a strength of sony's rather than the weakness that it currently is.  Now online gaming, adds a lot of value to games.  I have been having fun playing starcraft for a few years now, and haven't played a regular one player match on starcraft for a few years now.  So this online matches have really kept the game going a lot longer, so i'm pretty happy with the $30 that I spent on it.   

For the online gaming, I expect this to be a strength of sony's or at least competitive with Live by mid 2008 if you include HOME in the comparison....

Around the Network

am I missing anything guys?

PSN and the PSEye blunders? this thread is a blunder..

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Nothing but useless opinion based on no facts. Pns in not ment to rival Live, Home is. PSN will be there or people that don't like or want to use Home. PS Eye, not even out yet.

Yeah the eye isn't out yet, but I can't see more than a handful of software titles incorporating. The PSN could be a lot better, and I count this as a blunder, as I know that Sony can do better in some ways.

Around the Network
Blue3 said:
Nothing but useless opinion based on no facts. Pns in not ment to rival Live, Home is. PSN will be there or people that don't like or want to use Home. PS Eye, not even out yet.

Well yes and no, the PS eye will do well but how well is the problem. The thing about periphrials like this is most  developers outright ignore them. The wii remote was originally gonna come out for Game cube(or at least in some form) if it had it would have NEVER done as well as it's currently doing because again most would ignore it on both sides. I think the PS eye may suffer the same thing as many well thought out periphrials, which is not to say they're bad.

I have a hard time seeing how the PS3 has better exclusives than the 360 this year. That's 100% opinion, and at least half the people here would probably disagree, if not more.

I also fail to see how Blu-Ray is a success. It might be in the future (3-5 months is extremely optimistic), but so far, I don't see how it's done anything except drag down PS3 sales because of its price. How much better would a $400 DVD PS3 be selling right now? I'm inclined to say "a lot". I would probably own one already if it launched at that price.

The PSN is definitely a letdown thus far. I really expected Sony to do better than this. It's not that hard, just use XBL as a starting point and go from there. Home is intriguing but the entire PSN system should have been better sorted out at launch. Sony did have an extra year, after all.

IMO, even the graphics aren't a success thus far. The PS3 should be considerably more powerful than the 360. They had one additional year of tech at their disposal. The graphics might flourish down the road, but Sony could have really used a "Halo" type of game (Halo blew everything else out of the water when it launched with the original Xbox) to show consumers that their product is truly more powerful than the 360. They didn't do that.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
IMO, even the graphics aren't a success thus far. The PS3 should be considerably more powerful than the 360. They had one additional year of tech at their disposal. The graphics might flourish down the road, but Sony could have really used a "Halo" type of game (Halo blew everything else out of the water when it launched with the original Xbox) to show consumers that their product is truly more powerful than the 360. They didn't do that.

As far as I remember, Star Wars Rogue Squadren 2: Rogue Leader for the Gamecube was considered the best looking game of 2001 ...

HappySqurriel said:
rocketpig said:

As far as I remember, Star Wars Rogue Squadren 2: Rogue Leader for the Gamecube was considered the best looking game of 2001 ...

Rogue Squadron did look mighty fine. I should have specified "Halo blew anything on the PS2 out of the water". Since the GC launched head to head with the Xbox, it also had the benefit of an additional year of tech. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/