By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Official Microsoft Keynote Thread

elnino334 said:
By the way MS has been talking user created content for a VERY long time. Could it be they just happened to be prepare to showcase it and make it widely available? You know things don't happen overnight and it takes alot of work to launch something new succesfully. You think all the games currently available there just happened to be built overnight using a level editor lol. Again people just fell in love with lbp and right fully so since it looks like a promising game but even the snes had user created content. If I recall timesplitter allowed user created content. Not even going to bring up the PC since it is not even fair. Of course not everyone has a PC or if they do knows how to get access to all those flash games people keep talking about so now they will try some of those on their 360. Again is about expanding and making more games available in more placec for gamers to enjoy. Yes is nothing new persay but before today I didn't have access to those games but now I do so yes it is new.

I'm not saying they haven't been planning it, or saying it's a ripoff.

All I'm saying is that the way Epic put it last winter, this was the last thing on their mind.  They didn't want to face lawsuits on this, etc.  And it happening now, just seems suspicious.  That's all that I said.  I compared it to LBP, because that is the most recent, and biggest news to hit the console User-Created game in a while.  That's all.  Nothing against XNA and it's affiliates. 

Around the Network
disolitude said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
disolitude said:

Do you have an example to prove me wrong? Otherwise you don't really have a point...

ROFFLE! You really do believe what you said...?

Hell, I don't even need to combine Nintendo and Sony, I can use just Nintendo, with their Fall 2007 conference back in October whch consisted of: Monster Hunter 3 coming exclusively to the Wii after having been announced exclusively for the PS3 at least a year before, Fire Emblem DS, SomaBringer for the DS: the first new game announced from Monolith since Nintendo bought them, Eternal Chronicle: another new DS RPG, Mario Baseball for Wii, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for WiiWare, DS Station demo downloads through your Wii, Pokemon Farm for WiiWare, Sonic in Smash Bros Brawl, Wii Music and that's just the conference. I could use some more examples that came afterwards like Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World coming to NA, or Fatal Frame 4 officially announced and confirmed to be coming to the Wii exclusively with Nintendo producing the game and publishing(with persistent rumors that they may have bought the IP from Tecmo).

Now don't get me wrong, I was underwheled by Microsoft's conference today about I don't think it was "bad" like some users in here do, but if you honestly believe that what they announced today is "more news" than Nintendo's Fall conference let alone Nintendo AND Sony's announcements for the past 6 months combined, you are out of your goddamn mind.

I am aware there are many different types of gamers out there...and that makes our argument completely irelevant. In my eyes stuff you listed there is not big news at all as I don't play RPG games nor have ever played Monster hunter or Fatal Frame series.  I did play GoW tho and loved every minute of it. Also its awesome to know I will be able to play ninja gaiden so soon... as far as XNA news, I want to see how microsoft delivers on that as it could be amazing but also it can go wrong in many different ways. If they don't have set pricing and let small devs set their own, this has huge potential.

No, it makes your argument completely irrlevant because now you're acknowledging that you aren't going by reality because it's not the type of games you want to hear about. Sorry, but if you were arguing from Neva Neva Land you probably should have said from the start that MS had announced more at the conference in Neva Neva Land than Nintendo and Sony combined. Based in reality, I don't quite think that the release date for a game we all knew was coming soon somehow completely negates the announcement of 10+ games and a majo demo download service for the DS. Just no.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

rocketpig said:
DMeisterJ said:
rocketpig said:
elnino334 said:
Heh people want original games yet when they are given an apportunity they are dismissed as crap before even trying them. So we have more games to play thanks to xnx yet somehow that is a bad thing LOL. Wii already has wiiware coming down and I am sure PSN will do something similar as they had mentioned gaming 3.0. Little big planet is just a small piece of that yet people think is the holy grail user created content though it has literally taken years to make. I am baised since I am excited bout what could come out of those "amatuer" games since only "real" programmers with big budgets have skills to do anything good.

In fanboy's eyes, why create an original game when you can create a level for an already-established game?

Now that's revolutionary and exciting, despite the fact that I've been playing user-created levels and mods in games since the mid-90s on PC.

Rocketpig, for the last flippin time. I am not not excited about this. I just don't like to get excited about things without knowing the particulars. The whole "ripoff" argument is null and void, that doesn't matter. I just found that odd. What I'm worried about is paying for these ametuer games. if they're free, I'd be very happy, if they're five bucks... I don't know how happy I'd be. And since they haven't gone into when this will start, pricing, etc. How can I be excited? I hardly know anything about it. If you didn't take every question about something as a jab to your favorite system, you would fine many more intelligent conversations on this site. But I know that you are just going to bold the last sentence and focus on that.

I wasn't even responding to you in that post. Nice cheapshots, though. That's two in a row for you. Care to go for the trifecta?

MS can't possibly charge for these games. No one would ever take a risk on a $3/5/8 amateur game just for the hell of it. 

LOL.  No, I think I'll stop now.

Okay, that's all I wanted to know.  I do think that it's good for ametuer developers, and it being free makes it all the more better for Live users.  Now I can get a little excited for it.

ClaudeLv250 said:
disolitude said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
disolitude said:

Do you have an example to prove me wrong? Otherwise you don't really have a point...

Hell, I don't even need to combine Nintendo and Sony, I can use just Nintendo, with their Fall 2007 conference back in October whch consisted of: Monster Hunter 3 coming exclusively to the Wii after having been announced exclusively for the PS3 at least a year before, Fire Emblem DS, SomaBringer for the DS: the first new game announced from Monolith since Nintendo bought them, Eternal Chronicle: another new DS RPG, Mario Baseball for Wii, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for WiiWare, DS Station demo downloads through your Wii, Pokemon Farm for WiiWare, Sonic in Smash Bros Brawl, Wii Music and that's just the conference. I could use some more examples that came afterwards like Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World coming to NA, or Fatal Frame 4 officially announced and confirmed to be coming to the Wii exclusively with Nintendo producing the game and publishing(with persistent rumors that they may have bought the IP from Tecmo).

Now don't get me wrong, I was underwheled by Microsoft's conference today about I don't think it was "bad" like some users in here do, but if you honestly believe that what they announced today is "more news" than Nintendo's Fall conference let alone Nintendo AND Sony's announcements for the past 6 months combined, you are out of your goddamn mind.

I am aware there are many different types of gamers out there...and that makes our argument completely irelevant. In my eyes stuff you listed there is not big news at all as I don't play RPG games nor have ever played Monster hunter or Fatal Frame series.  I did play GoW tho and loved every minute of it. Also its awesome to know I will be able to play ninja gaiden so soon... as far as XNA news, I want to see how microsoft delivers on that as it could be amazing but also it can go wrong in many different ways. If they don't have set pricing and let small devs set their own, this has huge potential.

No, it makes your argument completely irrlevant because now you're acknowledging that you aren't going by reality because it's not the type of games you want to hear about. Sorry, but if you were arguing from Neva Neva Land you probably should have said from the start that MS had announced more at the conference in Neva Neva Land than Nintendo and Sony combined. Based in reality, I don't quite think that the release date for a game we all knew was coming soon somehow completely negates the announcement of 10+ games and a majo demo download service for the DS. Just no.

LOL, with my last post I was trying to politely say that games you listed are small potatoes compared to GoW and Ninja Gaiden and not big news at all but that I respect your taste in games. If that is news for you, good for you!

Those simulation elements in Fable 2 are actually very nice. Almost as if they took the best elements in Animal Crossing, and the Sims then they took them to the next logical level. I always wanted to own the town in Animal Crossing, and I wanted to upgrade it as I liked. I hope there is the option to be a slum lord or the possibility of singling out one of the townsfolk. I also like the concept of torture as was available in the Sims where through cruel neglect you could be highly entertained. Yeah it was like taking a magnifying glass to a ant hill, but the unexpected results were part of the thrill.

The one thing nobody is picking up on is this. Can an invited player marry you, and more to the point can you get knocked up by them. I am sure the thought has occurred to the developer, but imagine the ramifications. You might have to put the kid up for adoption, and then what happens twenty years later when he or she comes looking for you. There is even the potential for incest.

So many possibilities when you introduce simulation elements. Imagine your friends over for a visit when your character gives birth. Imagine their reaction if you then gun down your mate, and murder the baby. That is freedom my friends.

Around the Network

Dmeister, it's not as if I was trying to argue with you. I honestly didn't understand why you were so focused on why MS did this and kept bringing up LBP.

All that matters to me is that they are doing it, which will force both Sony and Nintendo to offer something like this in the future if it's even remotely successful.

This has the potential to flip the console world on its head if MS does it right and does it cheap (aka. free). This is so far beyond anything we've ever seen on consoles before and I'm really excited about it. Not because MS did it, for I would be just as excited if Sony or Ninty did the same, but because it's being done, period.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

@DMesiter
Not sure why you would put your faith on what epic says especially Mark Rein who said unreal 3 was only being worked on the PS3 yet a mag had played months before or that gears 2 wasn't in development until unreal was done. MS never came out and addressed Epic regarding this issue. If I recall he just kept touting the PS3 for allowing it etc while maybe just maybe MS had other plans that might have not worked for Epic. Just saying all you got is Epic for your suspicion which to me at least seems rather weak. By the way is fine if your not excited. I am just commenting about user created content portion of what you said.

On a more serious note, I'm looking forward to playing 14,000 different versions of Pong, half of which will mysteriously be bugged despite the game being so incredibly simple.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
Dmeister, it's not as if I was trying to argue with you. I honestly didn't understand why you were so focused on why MS did this and kept bringing up LBP.

All that matters to me is that they are doing it, which will force both Sony and Nintendo to offer something like this in the future if it's even remotely successful.

This has the potential to flip the console world on its head if MS does it right and does it cheap (aka. free). This is so far beyond anything we've ever seen on consoles before and I'm really excited about it. Not because MS did it, for I would be just as excited if Sony or Ninty did the same, but because it's being done, period.

I want to get UTIII for 360.  And I want to know if it will have the user-created mods on there.  Remember how Epic was talking about Microsoft not being to keen on it, a few months ago, but now MS went and did XNA on XBL, if they're doing that, will I have my UTIII mods?

Also, I wouldn't say that I am as excited about you for XNA (Are you a developer?), but Indie games that cost little to none, and are good would be absolutely fun to download and play.  Are you kidding me?  I love flash games and these will be more complex than that correct?  Then I'd be happy to download and support indies!

disolitude said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
disolitude said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
disolitude said:

LOL, with my last post I was trying to politely say that games you listed are small potatoes compared to GoW and Ninja Gaiden and not big news at all but that I respect your taste in games. If that is news for you, good for you!

ROFFLE! Gears of War is only big in NA, and even then it's outclassed by several 360 games on the hype-o-meter (Halo, GTA, etc.) Monster Hunter is the only thing keeping the PSP alive in Japan and is defying the trend of poor PSP software sales over there. And Ninja Gaiden? LOL!

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"