By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Official Microsoft Keynote Thread

@ People who responded to me

I should clarify, I meant the whole make your own games, and then have them on XBOX Live thing... XNA isn't a ripoff, obvioiusly, but as said, XNA has been out for years now, as has XBL and the 360. Why wait so long to do that, and never even mention doing this, but a year after LBP is announced, user created content on XBL is all over the place, yet Epic can't get mods on XBL a few months ago... It just seems weird to me.

@ Claude

LOL. the duke nukem comment was a joke. But the Zune comment: Have you ever held a Zune? The two buttons are not the most responsive things in the world, and the D-Pad (now squircle) leaves a lot to be desired. Not that it matters, but people would have actually ahd to buy a Zune for this to be important (j/k)

Around the Network
disolitude said:
gebx said:
PooperScooper said:
Fable = no release date?
NG2 = June
GeoW = Nov.

Anything we didn't know at the begining of Jan?

Well I don't think anyone expected Gears of War 2 this year...

MS seems to announce games when they are over 50% done where Sony announces them and then starts making them. This conference is more news than Sony and Nintendo had in the last 6 months combined. Why is everyone asking "is that it?"

You must have been living under a rock for those 6 months if you actually believe that.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

ClaudeLv250 said:
disolitude said:
gebx said:
PooperScooper said:
Fable = no release date?
NG2 = June
GeoW = Nov.

Anything we didn't know at the begining of Jan?

Well I don't think anyone expected Gears of War 2 this year...

MS seems to announce games when they are over 50% done where Sony announces them and then starts making them. This conference is more news than Sony and Nintendo had in the last 6 months combined. Why is everyone asking "is that it?"

You must have been living under a rock for those 6 months if you actually believe that.

Do you have an example to prove me wrong? Otherwise you don't really have a point...

Also. Who wants to pay to play ametuer games? I mean, XNA games are going to cost money right? Unless Microsoft doesn't care about footing the bill for putting your games on their service, etc... But never mind, this is M$, they're charging. So back to my first point, I get to pay to play ametuer games... That doesn't seem like a good idea.

DMeisterJ said:

I should clarify, I meant the whole make your own games, and then have them on XBOX Live thing... XNA isn't a ripoff, obvioiusly, but as said, XNA has been out for years now, as has XBL and the 360. Why wait so long to do that, and never even mention doing this, but a year after LBP is announced, user created content on XBL is all over the place, yet Epic can't get mods on XBL a few months ago... It just seems weird to me.

I think MS has probably had this in the works for quite some time... And this is vastly different than LBP. Community members get to actually create games, not levels for one game.

For homebrew programmers and indie people that want into the industry, this is huge news. You get access to full-fledged tools and get public recognition for your programming abilities for free

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

Resistance 2 this year. Blu-ray wins. - last 30 days on Sony side only.

Fable 2 vids:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30760.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30763.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30765.html

DMeisterJ said:
Also. Who wants to pay to play ametuer games? I mean, XNA games are going to cost money right? Unless Microsoft doesn't care about footing the bill for putting your games on their service, etc... But never mind, this is M$, they're charging. So back to my first point, I get to pay to play ametuer games... That doesn't seem like a good idea.

Just like anything else community-generated, 95% of it will be crap.

Getting excited about LBP but not this is insanity IMO. This is so much cooler than user-generated content for a high-profile game; we've had that stuff for years and years on PC. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

DM - I was going to say that exact thing when rocketpig said XNA > Home. I couldnt spell amateur though. I can see games being stick figures beating each other over the head with sticks - not much to get excited for.

rocketpig said:
DMeisterJ said:

I think MS has probably had this in the works for quite some time... And this is vastly different than LBP. Community members get to actually create games, not levels for one game.

For homebrew programmers and indie people that want into the industry, this is huge news. You get access to full-fledged tools and get public recognition for your programming abilities for free

I think that they haven't.  And since we neither have proof either way, all we can go on is what happend, which is LBP was announced last year, and now this year, they announce XNA, and it just seems suspiciously close to me.