By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The industry wanted Wii to fail

To be fair, PS3 is getting the brunt of the bad press now. It might be getting it a little easier due to inertia, but media wants to make everybody into either a winner or a loser. Or first one, then the other.

Drama sells.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
psrock said:
the truth is the wii is more successful than any of us thought it would be, either from the press to the fanboys and nitendo themselves. they cant even keep up up with demand.

True, but do you agree that Nintendo new it would be succesfull?

That was the only point i was debating with you. It would be silly for a compnay to invest in a product they thought would fail. ...Just a little silly...

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

successful, yes but not this successful

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
famousringo said:
To be fair, PS3 is getting the brunt of the bad press now. It might be getting it a little easier due to inertia, but media wants to make everybody into either a winner or a loser. Or first one, then the other.

Drama sells.

Agreed, i think the PS3 is a great console but the price set for it was too high, but now its getting better, the next price drop and its mine.

@Psrocks

Glad we agree

Quotes to live by!

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

psrock said:
they basicly took the gamecube and added motion control to it. that's thinking like a third place company

Sony baically took the PS2 controller and added tilt sensing to it. That's BEING a third place company.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network

and they are in third place, i still dont know how the nitendo strategy worked better.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

@ psrock because even if you don't agree with thier strategy it was something fresh, wii sports is todays super mario land. It was advertised as an inclusive system, as in it included every body, not only that too, it has the potential to take gameplay to a new level, though it has not done that just yet, i see little pockets of hope like the controls in god father, resident evil (old game i know but that not the point) and no more heroes. Thses are but some of the things that adds to the wii strenght IMO

Quotes to live by!

psrock, I think you're both right and wrong to a degree. Saying the Wii is a Gamecube with motion contols is straight ignorant. Is the 360 just an Xbox with enhanced graphics?

You do have a point regarding Nintendo not being as confident as they may have spoken about the Wii back when it was named the Revolution. The kind of shortages Nintendo is having shows that they completely underrated their own possible success and are having real trouble keeping up with this kind of demand. I don't blame them though. The victory they pulled out looks like the equivalent of rubbing two sticks together to create a fire. 

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

so many people said it would fail,

both sony and microsoft people said it was a fad

but its still outselling both systems

i guess i have to play with the wii to undestand, as i am a huge graphic whore.

Next Gen