By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Are Xbox One buyers REALLY paying $100 more for weaker hardware?

Ostro said:

Addition to OP:
MS also went with a consistent design (console, power brick, cables,...) which is what only Nintendo has done before I think. I like that because it adds some sense of quality (note: not saying it IS better, it just makes people think that, that's the way brands work, you know) when it's not just some ordinary accessory. Not sure if Sony has finally done that as well but I guess not, based on OP.

Kinect is the best way to go to justify the $100. It's really good (even Kinect 1 was) but only something awesome if you want it I think. Not sure about external HDDs but I think that's going to be the better option on Xbox? Not up to date but I read stuff about Sony not offering that or only their own HDDs (and I instantly remembered memory for the Vita).

It's all opinions.  I just posted mine.  No arguments.  Even the OP said that Sony has justified their price just like M$ (those assholes. *shakes fist*) have justified their price imo.

Around the Network

The same could be said for the PS2 vs Gamecube.

Like Mattrick said you get value for $500 USD when you buy an Xbox One. But I'm not looking for value, I am looking for gaming first.

Should have just upgraded your PC with that money then you can actually run Titanfall at constant 60FPS.

Even with the price increase of games and the PS4 in Canada, it's still cheaper then the Xbox 1.

Around the Network
dahuman said:
Should have just upgraded your PC with that money then you can actually run Titanfall at constant 60FPS.

Nah.  Xbox One's good enough.  Thanks, though! :)

"10/10"
"would be trolled again"

VitroBahllee said:
d21lewis said:

Because I just watched an unboxing on Youtube.  Now, at this point, nobody can deny that the PS4 is more powerful when it comes to running games.  Maybe Xbox One developers will close the gap.  Maybe PS4 developers will widen the gap.  Who can say?  Witches?  Genies?  Unicorns?  Anyway, it's the common argument that Xbox One owners are paying more for weaker hardware.  The thing can't even run most games at 1080p!  But when you look at what comes in the box, the $100 difference is kinda justified.

• The Xbox is a BIG console.  You probably get like $20 more in the extra plastic and power brick alone.  Sony gives you some generic power cord.
  • You get a REAL headset.  The PS4 came with some flimsy wire with an ear bud on the end. 
  • The Xbox One comes with the new Kinect.  Hate it or love it, the original Kinect cost like $150. 
  • The Xbox One has apps that the PS4 doesn't, yet. 
  • The Xbox One has an IR blaster that can control your TV and stuff right out of the box  (The Wii U controller can control your TV, too.  Just saying.).  The PS4 can't.
  • The Xbox One has that HDMI IN that pretty much gives you an extra HDMI port for your TV AND lets you integrate functions into your console.
  • The PS4 doesn't come with a free month of PS Plus (even the PS3 I got on Black Friday came with that!) but it does come with a $10 PSN voucher. 

Now, there may be more that the Xbox One has that the PS4 doesn't.  I don't know.  I only own the PS4.  With that said, I guess it all depends on your priorities if the extra $100 is worth it or not.  From my point of view, if the PS4 earned its $399 price tag then the Xbox One earned its $499 price tag.  Xbox One owners aren't paying more for weaker hardware.  They're paying more for more.

Your thoughts?

I agree. People are writing off Kinect and the voice control of your DVR, blu ray player, and television tuner along with all the games you can play with it in the future as though it's worth nothing. The HDMI pass through is awesome. The Snap feature for games/netflix or hulu or TV or whatever else is awesome. You do get a lot of great apps that are fun like TED talks. PS4 is a great value, but people act like the Xbox One is stupid, and that's just biased.

Both the systems are great. People who love games should own both. But people who just own one or the other, as long as they made a choice that best suits their needs, are not stupid. Eithe r way!

For many people, it is worth nothing.

Sure it costs MS money, but if consumers dont value the features, they don't see any 'worth' in it.

HDMI pass through might be awesome for you, but who ever claimed to hate switching between HDMI inputs on their tv? its a really minor problem that they unnecessarily decided every xbox owner should have a solution to.

Anyway, if they did enough research on TV, they would realise more and more people are watching their TV online so instead of offering people to connect their other devices to Xbox, they should have encouraged people watch their TV shows on the xbox itself, by offering all third party services apps (without the need for XBL).

about the kinect been forced, and been worth it, i see it like having hitlers dirty dippers and thinking you can sell them for 10,000,000, you still need to convince people that they should pay 10,000,000 for them, you will end up selling it for as much as people are willing to pay for it not as much as you think they are worth.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Well it cost more but it's worth when it launch and more so since titanfall come out