By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - What is a good cooling system for my pc?

I just got my intel pentium dual core 2140 to clock at 3.0ghz from 1.6ghz after weeks of overclocking a little higher than before. It is starting to run a little hot. What is a good cooling system that isn't too expensive? Idc if its a fan/heatsink water cooling or some other kind of method.

Edit I prefer to buy from newegg. 

Around the Network

1.6 --> 3 uh oh ^_^

elendar said:
1.6 --> 3 uh oh ^_^

That isn't much. People got these processors to 3.6 and 4.0. These processors are highly overclockable.

Now that's some insane overclocking there mate! Congrats!

As you should know, water cooling is not cheap. I recommend a heatsink with a 90mm fan at minimum. Something from Arctic Cooling, Zalman and Thermaltake should do the job :)

Also, don't forget that a good power supply with two fans will help. And case air flow is essential too :) 

^ Yeah I chose this processor because it is cheap only $70 and it is highly overclockable. Some people got the e2160 that is at 1.8ghz go pass 4.0. These must have no lives though. I just took it easy and every thing is working fine except the temp is a little higher than I want it to be.

Around the Network

Easy call, get this

I am assuming your CPU is socket 775 based on the info you gave so if its not then just find the version of that cooler for your socket. Either way it is in the upper echelon of air cooling for CPUs right now and well worth the cash if you simply love to overclock.

To Each Man, Responsibility

I've done something similar. I have an e2160 and I've taken it from its stock 1.8ghz to 3ghz.

I just bought a new case last week, The Antec Nine Hundred, and I've been seeing lower temperatures since then. I would usually get around 35-37C (or even around 40-42C if it was warm in the apartment) idle with my old case, now I'm getting 28-30C. I also bought an extra 120mm fan for the optional side panel fan placement.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&Tpk=nine%2bhundred

My old case was a Coolermaster Wavemaster alluminum case. It was solid, but heavy and with only three 80mm fans, all the air coming out of the case was warm. The new case moves so much air that it's felt cool despite leaving it on all day and even gaming.

That's a cool looking CPU fan. I've got an Arctic Cooler 5 right now, I may get that if I upgrade my CPU. My whole thought process was that since these cheap Intel dual core's could overclock easily and be cheap, then I could wait until the better CPU's were cheaper.

www.newegg.com and read about aftermarket coolers that have solid reviews from buyers.

rendo said:
www.newegg.com and read about aftermarket coolers that have solid reviews from buyers.

The thread starter already said that Newegg is the place that he would use to buy something. 

"I prefer to buy from newegg"