By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Thinking of buying my first Castlevania game; so what d'yall recommend?

Symphony of the Night is the best Castlevania game ever, best gameplay and music, bosses are awesome and all the RPG elements blend perfectly with the action, you can buy it on Xbox Live or the Playstation Network.

PS: I won't spoil the game for you, but the game has a lot of secrets...

Around the Network
Domo-Kun said:
I can't stress this enough, play Simon's Quest.

I second that, heartfeltfully.  <<I hope that's a word

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

Aria of Sorrow is incredible
Dawn of Sorrow is better if you play it before Aria of Sorrow (It's more original that way; it's a better game, it just feels to similar to Aria if you play both)
Circle of the Moon
NOT CASTLEVANIA 2
Circle of the Moon is probably the most underrated. I think it's awesome, and it's especially awesome as a starting point (for newer Metroid-esque Castlevania's), because you get to see how they gradually refined the formula in subsequent games.
I've played EVERY Castlevania, except for the newer 3D ones for Xbox/PS2.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Not to argue, but Simon's Quest was the first RPG/item-gathering (i.e. metroid-esque) iteration of Castlevania.

We'll miss you George.

PSN:Puzzleface

XBL:XpuzzlefaceX

My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce

To settle the "Play Simon's Quest!!" nonsense:

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Around the Network

It isn't nonsense, some people are just wrong. :)

We'll miss you George.

Domo-Kun said:
Not to argue, but Simon's Quest was the first RPG/item-gathering (i.e. metroid-esque) iteration of Castlevania.
Actually, it was Symphony of the Night. Simon's Quest is RPG like in different way. I think Symphony of the Night is more fun to come back to, though, as its better than Circle of the Moon, while I like Circle of the Moon as an entry point 

Domo-Kun said:
It isn't nonsense, some people are just wrong. :)

Doesn't that make it nonsense?  

blaydcor said:
To settle the "Play Simon's Quest!!" nonsense:

That guy Rulz !.... i think screwattack is on vacations right now 'cause they haven't put up any new

videos in a while

ok, i've seen that review like a thousand times ... and i agree with a lot on it ... but i think that in the

end Castlevania II isn ' that bad of a game 

-- Live only for tomorrow, and you will have a lot of empty yesterdays today--

Tavin:  "Old school megaman is THE BEST megaman"      courtesy of fkusumot :)

My mind has changed. My strength has not.    Kamahl, Fist of Krosa

I disagree.

Platforming+item-gathering+leveling up, sounds alot like SOTN to me.

We'll miss you George.