By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - You have to play Praetorians.

I just picked this game up the other day and its an amazing RTS. The game has abandoned a lot of the traditional RTS elements such as resources and buildings and instead is based almost entirely on tactics, the troop strengths and weaknesses are really pronounced which means you actually have to bother about things like a rearguard otherwise you get flanked and lose all your archers and cavalry, you also simply have to use scouts otherwise you get ambushed and similarly destroyed.

I haven't had this much fun playing a RTS since Rome:Total War and it really does make you think differently than the traditional RTS as there is much more emphasis on where you put your troops in a battle than on how many troops you actually have.

So yeah, anyone else played this game? And what other games have a similar sort of emphasis on tactics? I might have to try and find some more =P

Around the Network

I don't want to let your forum die without a response. Not much of a real time strategy game player but I will look at it.

I watched a few trailers, and the Hollywood-level depiction of antiquity really bugged me. Imperial era legionnaries fighting Middle kingdom Egyptians, and some kind of bizarre parody of Celtic cultures?

Even if the gameplay was awesome, I couldn't touch this game. The regular guy might not notice a thing, but for a history student that game is like a WW2 game where general Custer leads a cavalry charge against the costal fortifications at Normandy, wearing plate armour and single handedly destroying twenty Leopard tanks with his mighty lance. All the Germans are equipped with jet packs and flame throwers.

... damn, I suddenly want to play a game like that.

dont u think Rome Total war kill it ?

(pretorians is an old game, are we talking about the same game ?)

Time to Work !