By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is utorrent a good torrent program,recommendations? and can I get sued for?

Well I use the program utorrent for torrent files. Its a nice program that doesnt need installation to run and leaves a really small  footprint. It also downloads at really nice speeds. Well recently ive been reading up that, utorrent was bought up a few years ago by bittorrent and now works in conjunction with the MPAA and RIAA. Ive also heard how they track IP adresses of people who use torrent sites.

Now, I dont pirate movie's nor games. But I do download fansubbed anime.
What are the chances(if theres any) of MPAA or RIAA sueing me or cutting off my internet?

I also have a dynamic IP address, so can changing my IP keep me anonymous?
for example if my IP was 1.9.17(simplified for arguments sake) then I changed my IP to 1.9.12, do
some other person take my old IP adress? making it virtually impossible to trace dynamic IP's?
can someone provide an explanation?

oh and how easy is it to trace Limewire?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Around the Network

utorrent has a good feature that sends a different ip to the tracker, check it out it should be somewhere in the options. Also when you d/l a torrent share 2kb/sec or less and they won't even notice you.

Auron said:
utorrent has a good feature that sends a different ip to the tracker, check it out it should be somewhere in the options.

thanks ill try to look for the feature, though Ive heard that utorrent is owned by a company in conjunction with MPAA and RIAA.

Auron said:
Also when you d/l a torrent share 2kb/sec or less and they won't even notice you.
can you elaborate?
do you mean leave my upload speed at 2kb/sec?
or is that supposed to be my download speed?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Projectw.org + a rapidshare premium account (or a tool like rapget if you're cheap)=Win

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Yeah I use uTorrent I find it's the best one.

Around the Network
cool48 said:

yeah I like using it myself, but Ive heard bad things about it.
peerguardian furom members seem to hate utorrent.
I dont know,maybe im just being paranoid... which is why I had to start this thread.

iclim4 said:
cool48 said:

yeah I like using it myself, but Ive heard bad things about it.
peerguardian furom members seem to hate utorrent.
I dont know,maybe im just being paranoid... which is why I had to start this thread.

I've never actually thought of being sued because in Canada there is no law that condems torrent downlaods.

From what I heard anyways.

I uses the latest version of bit-tornado. Its not as clean as other torrent programs but you can enable a stealth encryption mode to keep you safe.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

(Almost) Any program that allows transferring of files between two computers involves the other computer knowing your IP address. Nothing -- not even sending a different IP to the tracker -- will change this. The MPAA/RIAA et al get IPs by connecting to the tracker and attempting to connect to the nodes involved. Those it can connect to are now no longer obscured. There is absolutely no protection against this; no matter what, this will be the case. It is a by-product of the protocols that run the internet.

There are some programs out there that can protect you from this method of IP discovery. They are called darknets, and tend to be a bit slower and sketchier in nature than the 'open'/non-anonymous P2P systems, like bittorrent.

That said, IF it is true that you only use it to download fansubbed anime, there is almost a 0% chance of you getting sued (assuming it does not have a distributor) - the Japanese companies tend to be liberal with derivative works like fansubs, as it is good market research as to what will fly in the West and be worth bringing across the ocean. If there is a distributor in the states, the file transfers will go less legit (fan sites will stop directly posting the torrents, etc), but I have never heard of legal action being taken.

Oh, and changing your IP address will do nothing. Your ISP has logs of who is in control of what IP at any given time, and will provide it upon subpoena to askers.

Limewire is as easy to track and even easier to prove infringement than BT, so thats no improvement.

EDIT: Since it was brought up, encryption will also do nothing to protect you in this aspect.  It will protect you from snoops along the wires (like ISP packet shapers), but for what the MPAA/RIAA do to track infringers, it will do nothing; at some point the data needs to be decrypted, and by making themselves the place where it is decrypted the RIAA is able to track you just as easily as without.  So don't count on encryption (which Azureus, µtorrent, bit-tornado, and other programs all use the same protocol for interconnectivity) to protect you from lawsuits. 

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

ssj12 said:
I uses the latest version of bit-tornado. Its not as clean as other torrent programs but you can enable a stealth encryption mode to keep you safe.

utorrent has encryption aswell.