By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 Lost Planet - 5GB Install

I have 4 PS3's... 3 x 40 Gb and 1 x 80 Gb... This is going to get annoying to install stuff all the time... Everytime I wanna play a game on a different PS3 I will have to install... If I wanted PC gaming I would have bought a PC.

Around the Network

@ Chirzum

Your post is riddled with phail.

First, if someone bought the forty gig, then how could they have enough money to buy seven or eight games? If that was the case, why not buy two less games, and get the eighty gig?

Second. Who plays a different game, every day of the week? And who plays six or seven games at a time? I'd call myself a "hardcore" gamer, and I only play one, or maybe two games at a time.

iclim4 said:
@torillian
you seem to have forgotten that Lost planet has multiplayer.
what if one day you decided to play some multiplayer after a few months of beating the game. youd have to wait it install all over again .

To me this installation crap is starting to piss me off.
It was fine when only a few games have it, now this is just abusive.
Id buy a bigger HD if I could easily move all my files without having to download all of my stuff again.

I do that ALL THE TIME on the PC. I'll have my newer games that I play all the time while I uninstall the older games that I want to free up space for. Months later, I'll be like "I want to play that game again" so do you know what I do?

....I reinstall it and then play it.

----

I think it would be a problem if EVERY game did it. Even still, I don't play a whole bunch games at a time. When I get a new game or rent a game, I usually commit my time to beating it. Once I play it enough and tire of it, I change it out for a different game and then go back to the older games when I feel an urge to play them again.

vizunary said:
this is NOT a big deal, external usb drives can be "installed" in under 5 seconds if you really need the space. i added a 200gb drive that only cost me about $50. and now i've got plenty of space for these installs as well as around 50 movies and 100's of songs on there, not to mention Linux Yellow Dog with a few apps AND 100's of NES emulators.

anyways, without all that, these installs are basically the gaming equilvalent of temp files. so if you're not gonna be playing the game again for awhile, just delete it, then REINSTALL the friggin thing. we've used up YEARS of our lives playing gmes, those 10-15 mins won't kill you.

Am I reading that right that you have an external HDD that you're putting demo's on? I didn't think you can do that because I'm sure they wouldn't allow it for piracy reasons. 

IllegalPaladin said:
I do that ALL THE TIME on the PC. I'll have my newer games that I play all the time while I uninstall the older games that I want to free up space for. Months later, I'll be like "I want to play that game again" so do you know what I do?

----

I think it would be a problem if EVERY game did it. Even still, I don't play a whole bunch games at a time. When I get a new game or rent a game, I usually commit my time to beating it. Once I play it enough and tire of it, I change it out for a different game and then go back to the older games when I feel an urge to play them again.

yes on the PC,but the ps3 is a console.
My pc has a 180GB, my ps3 has 47gb.
Warcraft III frozen throne fills 1GB, Lost planet fills 5GB.

It would be okay if its optional like torillian stated.
I could stomach load times just to curb my craving for a certain game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Around the Network
iclim4 said:
IllegalPaladin said:

----

yes on the PC,but the ps3 is a console.
My pc has a 180GB, my ps3 has 47gb.
Warcraft III frozen throne fills 1GB, Lost planet fills 5GB.

It would be okay if its optional like torillian stated.
I could stomach load times just to curb my craving for a certain game.

I also said that I uninstal my old games to make space which means that I wouldn't be able to play it again until I reinstalled it, same with your argument that you can't play DMC4 (for example) at a later time if you uninstalled it and thus, you'd have to reinstall it.

Again, I think it would be a problem if all games did it. However, I'm not really seeing this as a real big problem right now unless you had somebody over and you had to reinstall the game since you haven't played it in a while. Still, I do that a lot on the PC when I want to show somebody (for example) F.E.A.R or another game that I haven't played in a while (and had thus, uninstalled)

IllegalPaladin said:

I also said that I uninstal my old games to make space which means that I wouldn't be able to play it again until I reinstalled it, same with your argument that you can't play DMC4 (for example) at a later time if you uninstalled it and thus, you'd have to reinstall it.

Again, I think it would be a problem if all games did it. However, I'm not really seeing this as a real big problem right now unless you had somebody over and you had to reinstall the game since you haven't played it in a while. Still, I do that a lot on the PC when I want to show somebody (for example) F.E.A.R or another game that I haven't played in a while.  

which is what is pissing me off.
I changed to a console player for the simplicity of console gaming.
Now they give me a smaller harddrive with bigger game installations.
you know how many games I can fit in a 180GB HDD? I bought the PC with the expectations of installations.
the ps3? no.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

iclim4 said:
IllegalPaladin said:

Again, I think it would be a problem if all games did it. However, I'm not really seeing this as a real big problem right now unless you had somebody over and you had to reinstall the game since you haven't played it in a while. Still, I do that a lot on the PC when I want to show somebody (for example) F.E.A.R or another game that I haven't played in a while.

which is what is pissing me off.
I changed to a console player for the simplicity of console gaming.
Now they give me a smaller harddrive with bigger game installations.
you know how many games I can fit in a 180GB HDD? I bought the PC with the expectations of installations.
the ps3? no.

Still 5gb's is smaller than newer PC games. Like I said on the first page, Gears of War and Crysis both require 12gigs of space and Call of Duty 4 needs 8gigs. Again, perhaps I'm too used to it that the 'ease of consoles' doesn't mean anything to me. Perhaps I just take news and changes in a more optomistic way rather than proclaim glood and doom at everything.

Also In my case with my PC, throw in video editing where I use my hard drives to backup my source footage for when I transfer it to my external hard drive and take it campus to edit it. That easily eats up (currently) 75gigs of my hard drive. That along with everything else I have on my PC from schoolwork, music, and videos and all of that space the large PC hard drive starts to become sort of a moot point.

DMeisterJ said:

Second. Who plays a different game, every day of the week? And who plays six or seven games at a time? I'd call myself a "hardcore" gamer, and I only play one, or maybe two games at a time.

I do the former.  I've only gotten to 4 games at a single time on the latter.

NeoRatt said:
I have 4 PS3's... 3 x 40 Gb and 1 x 80 Gb... This is going to get annoying to install stuff all the time... Everytime I wanna play a game on a different PS3 I will have to install... If I wanted PC gaming I would have bought a PC.

No one has touched on the largest unanswered question in this thread: why does NeoRatt have *FOUR* PS3s?

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)