By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: PS3 will not outsell 360 in Americas

Jandre002 said:
10 million is not critical mass. It will begin to outsell the Xbox360 in the US weekly by August. Videogames in general are more popular, so many people are just going to end this generation with multiple consoles.

Yet, as of now we can't say that the Xbox360 is selling better than the original Xbox, since Halo 3 is what put it over the edge. But there still is no evidence that old PS2 buyers are buying 360's. In fact, it seems more likely that Halo fans are buying 360's, but mainstream still thinks the price is too high. That still leaves America up for grabs, and with the PS3 being the more attractive console when prices finally do come down to mainstream level, the 360 will just be the Halo console as it was last generation.

If you were picking a month at random for your prediction, you made an unfortunate choice. If there's one thing that we've learned so far in this generation, it's that the 360 has become the console of choice for sports games in the American market. And August/September see the release of pretty much every major sports game on the market: Madden, NCAA Football, NBA, NHL, even the annual NASCAR racing game. (I'm pretty sure that FIFA releases in this window as well, although it's not as big of a game in the American market.) August was a huge month for the 360 last year, and it saw tremendous hardware and software sales based off of the annual sporting titles. In other words, August is definitely NOT the month I'd be picking for that already unrealistic projection!

The notion that only XBox fans are purchasing the 360, and "no evidence that old PS2 buyers are buying 360's" is similarly laughable. Please. You only make yourself look bad when you say things like this.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Around the Network

Prediction wrong. Check this month's NPD.

PS3 will beat 360 WW within 3 years but NA is 360 land and there is ALMOST no chance of that changing.

LOL. =)))

Unbelievers will suffer GREATLY in 2008. CrazzyMan
=))))))

@Auron, on PS3 haven`t even been released MGS4, KZ2, FFXIII, GT5, LBP. LoL @ what you saying. =)))

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Fastrabbit09 said:
i didn't state nothing changes...i stated what ps3 would have to do to catch up to 360 and i don't believe it can

if u believe it can, then why not post your reasoning instead of flames?

I find it funny how in ONE country the 360 sells better and for some reason that makes it godly. Look at the rest of the world, they accept the PS3, it's only a matter of time before the same thing happens in America.

You also forget the full YEAR the 360 has on the PS3, so assuming the PS3's life will exceed the 360's by atleast a year it is very likely that the PS3 will catch up and surpass the 360. 

And when HD DVD throws in the towel that can increase PS3 sales in America, lots of good games lined up for the PS3 this year, we will see a full turn in the PS3's fortunes, mark my words. 

Around the Network

Likely......... a tie..

be 2nd by 08...... wow i'm seeing unicorns, gotta stop drinking...