By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Epic focusing on console titles claims PC gaming is currently in "disarray"

Those numbers are legit.

AU FOREVER

Around the Network

^prove it.

Here is what I found

http://news.filefront.com/npd-results-for-pc-gaming-in-2007/

Before you skip right to the numbers, keep in mind that NPD numbers don’t encompass digital downloads which explains why games like The Orange Box are conspicuously absent from the year’s top 10 chart.

Revenue from retail sales dropped nearly $60 million from $970 million in 2006 to $910.7 million in 2007. That doesn’t encompass revenue from subscriptions from MMOs, which continue to be a major chunk of the PC market. As for what the direct cause of the drop was, I would imagine it’s a combination of increased piracy and a larger usage of digital distribution as outlets like Steam become the norm for many PC gamers.

World Of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade (Vivendi) - 2.25 million
World Of Warcraft (Vivendi) - 914,000
The Sims 2: Seasons Expansion Pack (Electronic Arts) - 433,000
Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision) - 383,000
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars (Electronic Arts) - 343,000
Sim City 4 Deluxe (Electronic Arts) - 284,000
The Sims 2 (Electronic Arts) - 281,000
The Sims 2: Bon Voyage Expansion Pack (Electronic Arts) - 271,000
Age Of Empires III (Microsoft) - 259,000
The Sims 2: Pets Expansion Pack (Electronic Arts) - 236,000
It’s no surprise to see World of Warcraft and The Sims dominate the list; I’d expect nothing different in 2008. There’s not much room for games that don’t belong to either of those series to make the list, but of the four that did, it’s somewhat odd to see Age of Empires III sell just over a quarter million units.

I really wouldn’t put much stock in these numbers for all of the aforementioned reasons. Whether or not PC gaming is struggling certainly cannot be ascertained from these figures, so don’t go crazy about how you just invested in a new 8800 when PC gaming is about to go down the toilet.

Which I’d like to think it isn’t.
----------------------------------------

Basically it is at least 1 billion from retail but is missing tons of money from subscriptions from MMO's and digital distribution like steam.

From WoW alone blizzard got 1.2 billion of subscriptions

http://shacknews.com/onearticle.x/51055

Blizzard Hoards $1.2 Billion in 2007

Jan 30, 2008 4:06pm CST
Ever wonder what those record World of Warcraft subscription numbers translate to? Over a billion dollars in revenue, according to a Vivendi financial statement released today.

Vivendi subsidiary Blizzard Entertainment posted revenues of $814 million euros (US $1.2B) last year, up 58 percent over 2006.

The numbers are attributed to the first quarter release of the company's first MMO expansion, World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade, in addition to an all-time high of 10 million worldwide Warcraft subscribers.

In comparison, other Vivendi companies, including Sierra Entertainment, Sierra Online, and Vivendi Games Mobile, only brought in a total of $204 million euros (US $301M) in revenue.

Blizzard could see the release of two titles this year, as both the second World of Warcraft expansion Wrath of the Lich King and its anticipated StarCraft sequel are readied for publishing.

Thanks elnino. So the numbers even specifically mention that they are missing the largest source of sales for many games. Digital-distribution.

What the hell, Epic. :|

Around the Network

I would say that PC gaming is not in trouble, but maybe the type of games Epic is making are having trouble (on the PC).

^I completely agree. Gears of War for windows was so bug fixed that I couldn't even play through it once due to the save game deletion. And I was so excited for UT3 but it's really hard to improve upon perfection without having some of main developers (UT3 lacked a lot of CliffyB involvement and some of the original devs) without ruining the formula. It also felt like a console port too which didn't help the situation. What the PC needs to do is to get some new blood of developers on the scene. Even though there are many sites that state 2007 was amazing for PC games I honestly don't think so. Outside of BioShock and the WoW expansion and Orange Box, the game scene was very slim. I found myself playing WC3,WoW,UT2004,SC, and NWN/KOTOR most of the time.

veiam said:
What the PC needs to do is to get some new blood of developers on the scene. Even though there are many sites that state 2007 was amazing for PC games I honestly don't think so. Outside of BioShock and the WoW expansion and Orange Box, the game scene was very slim. I found myself playing WC3,WoW,UT2004,SC, and NWN/KOTOR most of the time.

2007 was one of the worst years for PC in recent times, but it still beat all consoles' lineups except Xbox 360.

Now 2008, PC beats the crap out of any console lineup. You can even gang up PS360, and PC still has a better lineup than that. 

Outside of Spore and SC2 I don't know of anything big coming out. Not that those 2 games will be small time by any stretch of the imagination. You got a link for the line up?

veiam said:
^I completely agree. Gears of War for windows was so bug fixed that I couldn't even play through it once due to the save game deletion. And I was so excited for UT3 but it's really hard to improve upon perfection without having some of main developers (UT3 lacked a lot of CliffyB involvement and some of the original devs) without ruining the formula. It also felt like a console port too which didn't help the situation. What the PC needs to do is to get some new blood of developers on the scene. Even though there are many sites that state 2007 was amazing for PC games I honestly don't think so. Outside of BioShock and the WoW expansion and Orange Box, the game scene was very slim. I found myself playing WC3,WoW,UT2004,SC, and NWN/KOTOR most of the time.

Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about game quality in my post. I meant that the market for those type of games is shrinking on the PC, with gamers migrating to consoles for their latest FPS fix. I'm not saying they are better on consoles (I have no idea, TBH) but sales are getting worse. As an example, I read that UT3 did under 30K in the US in the first month.

Can anybody find more complete PC sales figures for 2007?