By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ubisoft offers praise for PS3 architecture

So finally some developers are finding the PS3 architecture to be quite good and capable:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/02/11/ubisoft-offers-praise-for-ps3-architecture 

Lost my faith in VGChartz. Too many stupid and ignorant Americans, even as moderators.

It's a shame, really. "The Boss" should do something radical about this Americanization, but it seems hardly feasible, so my days here are numbered.

Around the Network

Good stuff, PS3 domination begins now! Muahahahaha! j/k.

Good news. I look forward to seeing Far Cry 2 on the PS3. I am not going to call any devs who have complained about the PS3 lazy, but it is nice to see some who are relieved by what the PS3 can do rather than intimidated.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

boycop said:

So finally some developers are finding the PS3 architecture to be quite good and capable:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/02/11/ubisoft-offers-praise-for-ps3-architecture

Anyone who says its not a powerful architecture is just full of crap. The PS3s problem has never been capability its problem has been an issue of poor design choices in terms of keeping a balance between raw power and the ability to viably utilize that power. That doesn't mean the architecture is bad, its actually quite good, but from the standpoint of satisifying the business model they needed it does poorly (although its good at satisfying the business model they chose).

In lamens: If they had worried a bit less about adding raw OOMPH and a bit more on making the power that is there accessible and more easily utilized, there would very likely have been less game delays and even possibly a noticeable positive impact on the early life cycle graphics. It of course would have also brought the late life cycle graphics down a bit but I think in hindsight they would agree with me when I say the launch is far more important.

To Each Man, Responsibility

Actions speak louder than words

Around the Network
boycop said:

There have been many such quotes from both multi-platform and exclusive PS3 developers. The main issue is that it takes some time and effort redesigning legacy game engine to use the Cell's multi-processor CPU design well enough. These issues do not apply to game engines designed from scratch for the PS3 and Insomniac appears to have fully redesigned their legacy game engine for Resistance 2 already, running nearly everything on the SPEs instead of on the PPE. It seems to have been a pretty straight forward process for them. They actually accomplished this faster than I thought would be the case back in 2005.

The main issues remain with legacy game engines which haven't been adapted that much, mostly those who claim difficulties either use middleware which don't use the SPEs well enough or some who seem unwilling to adapt (Valve). Middleware designers I believe usually don't criticize the PS3's architecture as they know their technology hasn't been adapted well enough to suit the PS3 in such cases, those devs who are using their technology are often high level developers lacking a deep enough understanding of the hardware. It would be a little like user designed levels created with a level editor, you need to have no great in depth knowledge of the underlying hardware to create such content, you mainly need knowledge of the provided tools.

Most developers agree, the PS3 is a lot easier to develop for than for the PS2. Due to their differences 360 ports would be inefficient without significant adaptation (I know the devs who had to adapt DirectX games for similar specced Mac, Amiga and Linux, they had to go through quite a few ordeals as well, a straight port would be horrible, but the end result with significant adaptation was actually far more efficient) , porting from PS3 to 360 isn't an issue at all as the PS3 requires smart coding which indirectly even helps the quality of PC/360 porting!

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

I can't wait till I can afford a PS3. This system will last atleast another ten years easy. Resistance Fall of Man 2! *HEAD EXPLODES*

AU FOREVER