By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why should I (you) play Okami? - Hype Me

Ok so I've heard this game mentioned numerous times and I know at least SSJ12 believes the game is a sign of the second coming or possibly the second coming itself.  But still I've never played it. So I figured there are probably more folks than just myself out there who are intrigued but want to hear a bit more about it before we would buy the Wii version.  So to those of you who have played it if could please try to explain what we've been missing?

1) Briefly, what is the premise of the game and the circumstances for the story at the beginning of the game (no spoilers please)?

2) What thing(s) specifically about the game makes it great?  

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

The premise is simple enough: you play the role of Amaterasu, the sun god(dess) of Japanese mythology, called back into the mortal plane in the form of a sacred wolf to battle the evil eight-headed demon serpent Orochi.

The game would be a fairly standard Zelda clone, if not for a few unique aspects. Most notably is the Celestial Brush system, whereby you draw patterns to make things happen on screen (for example, a rapid swipe of the brush in any direction acts like a sword strike, and dabbing ink on a target blinds them temporarily). As well, you gain experience of a sort as you perform certain tasks to help people and animals out. And of course, you gain new weapons and abilities as you go along, as is the standard for a Zelda-esque action-adventure game.

The other big plus for the game is its very unique art style, which resembles the art of classic Japanese scrolls. It's a quirky and interesting visual design that ultimately works in the game's favor. If all that sounds interesting to you, then you may as well pick it up for Wii once it's out. It's more or less assured that the Wii version's Celestial Brush controls will be superior to the somewhat clunky PS2 version's.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

1) In Okami you play the Japanese goddess of the sun, Amaterasu, who takes on the form of a wolf.  The story is that a demon named Orochi, sealed away 100 years ago, is accidentally released unto the world.  You have to stop him.  He has drained the life and color out of the world, and as you go through the game you need to use your powers and the brushtrokes you acquire from the other Japanese gods to reanimate the world, and push back the darkness.  It's not really about the story, but as simple as it sounds, it ends up being surprisingly interesting, and full of great and colorful characters. 

2) Well, the most obvious thing is of course the game's artistic beauty.  The entire game is drawn out as you play it in a gorgeous Japanese Ukiyo-e style.  The soundtrack is a gorgeous mix of Japanese classical music, and is all instrumental.  The characters are all lively and unique, and you'll find yourself attached to them very quickly.  Character development is good.  

Those familiar with the Zelda franchise (in its 3D forms) will have no trouble adjusting to the gameplay, as it plays almost identical to the 3D Zelda adventures.  The pattern is fairly predictable:  Run from town to town (in a large overworld) getting sidequests and doing odjobs for people (No, they aren't scared of the wolf).  Go through a dungeon, get a new ability (brushstrokes in this game), use it to solve the dungeon's puzzle, and beat the boss.  This formula may be old, but it's used because it is good.  The gameplay is simple but fun, and if you do enjoy the 3D Zeldas, you will certainly enjoy this.  

To put it simply: Okami is perhaps the greatest current example that video games are in fact art. 

GT Video review for good meassure:

I wanna reply too. =P

1) You play as the reincarnation of the Japanese Sun Goddess, Amaterasu, and are charged with defeating the eight headed demon Orochi, who Amaterasu had fought and defeated in her pervious incarnation one hundred years ago.

That’s the basic premise. The storyline unfolds and expands in the same way if you were watching several seasons of an anime series, and has multiple actual linear storylines that tie in a bigger arch.

An general theme I thought made the game better was you’re playing as a God, in a time in which most people have lost faith in gods due to blight upon their land. In addition to slaying evil, you can inspire faith in people with much smaller things. There’s a point early in the game where you use your power to make the sun come out to help an old woman dry her clothes faster, and feeding the various animals spread across the land restores faith. (Which acts as the games form of XP)

2) Most of the gameplay is the standard adventure affair. You fight monsters, collect items and money, solve puzzles, help people with their problems, fight bosses, and get more powerful, yada yada.

The big standout gameplay wise is the Celestial Brushstrokes. As the sun goddess Amaterasu you can use the brushstrokes to “paint” on reality. When you use them, it freezes the actual game action. You can adjust you camera however you wish, and you use a cursor to draw symbols on the picture. You gain more brushstrokes and gain a wider variety of things to do; which are used from puzzle solving to combat. You draw a circle in the sky; you make the Sun come out. You draw a crescent, and the moon rises and the night falls. As you gain more complex strokes this general makes you (or me at the very least) very empowered as you can do a great deal in any given situation.

Ok, I think I'm sold =P

If anyone else has stuff to add feel free but I think that covers most of it.

Okami is officially added to my "To get" list.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

glad another person will get to experience Okami :)

probably the only game in its genre to ever come close to a Zelda level of quality. I definately enjoyed it a lot more than Twilight Princess, although I wouldn't call it a better game (it drags on and on towards the end and it lacks a bit of polish)

You'll get your moneys worth though. Decent sized main quest (around 30 hours) and lots of sidequests along the way.

Approximately how long would this game last?

izaaz101 said:
Approximately how long would this game last?

40 hours or more depending on how many sidequests you do.  Good length, especially for a $40 game.

Is there a chance this game might retail for $39.99 like RE4?

totalwar23 said:
Is there a chance this game might retail for $39.99 like RE4?

It's confirmed to retail for $39.99, but RE4 was $29.99. Still, this game is about  6X as long as RE4, so with the price difference comes much more value.