By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Let The Speculation Begin

Marcus Beer and Adam Sessler have hinted at some big negative news coming out before the 12th and sorry to say it isn't Xbox One related.

To paraphrase, "Somebody let the ball drop...big time."

There is no specific word on whether this is Sony or Nintendo or someone else related.  It could even be Microsoft on the Windows side of things, but it seems potentially by next Saturday we'll hear some word of this.

There is the potential that this is related to Sony, but it's direct impact will be for the media, not gamers.  Seems the ability to record video via the PS4 without HDCP won't be available until a post launch patch.  Thus media outlets that rely on capturing video and doing post processing won't be able to do so with the PS4.  The media, to say the least, isn't happy about this. 

Seems a plausable possibility for some of the Tweets, but the suggestion is that what will be revealed in a weeks time is big.  This doesn't seem big to me, just a big deal for media outlets.  If this was the issue I'm not sure why people are making as big of a stink about it.  It negatively impacts the media, and it may impact the ability for the media to offer credible reviews (i.e. substantive proof of an issue) but it doesn't prevent them from saying it.  For Sessler, I can see this being an issue because he does video-based reviews/commentar.  Not sure about Marcus Beer.

But again, not to over hype anything but apparently something big could potentially be revealed next week (If it's the capturing thing...read veiled threat to Sony) but if it isn't about the video capturing thing, then you could be seeing some damaging news affecting someone. somewhere.  Just not the Xbox One.

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1paqyi/rumors_summary_of_rumors_xbox_one_and_gaming_in/

Around the Network

No replies because thread title is uninteresting.

I think you filled the OP with enough speculation.

We really have no idea what it's about. Also it's very flawed of you to rule out Microsoft just because of Albert's comment.

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/592511-the-ps4-s-lackluster-first-year-of-exclusive-software-means-you-better-be-patient

Lackluster first year of exclusives? I guess they mean 2013. Sorry but that is FUD in pure form. Dying of boredom? The release schedule for 2014 is insane.

Doesn't the ps3 use DHCP, how do they get video reviews from that?
Anyway if that is a problem, maybe journalists can try google, first hit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r4BkAzkCV8 How to bypass HDCP on ps3 and ps4.

Somebody has dropped the ball big time: What I can think of, online multiplayer not ready for CoD ghosts? That would be a big one.

kowenicki said:

Adam Sessler’s Freak Out is Indicative of a Rushed PS4 Launch

Sony has talked the talk, but can it walk the walk?

October 27th, 2013

Only hours ago, gaming journalism veteran Adam Sessler posted a string of concerning tweets via Twitter that left gamers scratching their heads. Vague mentions of a major issue with next-gen console launches were made in addition to him stating his job security is in jeopardy. His posts are littered with impending doom, making it sound like a gaming cataclysm is upon us.

Among the most alarming things that Sessler posted on his Twitter was the following:

My concerns are about my livelihood being dramatically affected by corporate decisions. This will have a nominal effect on you as a consumer

Since Sessler hasn't clarified about what he's extremely worried about, sites and forums around the net have been flooding with rumors, some of which make much more sense than others.

What we do know is that Sessler currently works at Revision3 Games, a very multimedia-focused site. Their reliance on video coverage might be a hint to what's going on behind the scenes.

GameTrailer's Marcus Bear, who earlier confirmed that the issue isn't Xbox related, has since written an informative post on NeoGaf, stating:

Its not just about the games, its reviewing the actual system 2 days before the damn thing ships.
Something feels off right now to be honest & a lot of people are pissed about it. 
If you have seen anything I have done over the last 8 months, you will know I have been very happy with the way Sony has been doing things but now its time for them to shit or get off the pot and they are being damn evasive about allowing serious access to the system before launch. 
I have mine preordered (ditto XboxOne) & if that is the only way I will get to have said access to the PS4 then so be it. 
When people delay access to something, game or hardware, it's never for a good reason in my experience.

What it seems is that video content is restricted heavily before the PS4's release, with the only way for major outlets to properly offer launch week coverage being the attendance of the upcoming PS4 Review Event in New York. At this November 11th event, a limited number of outlets will be able to not only play the PS4 and its games 4 days before launch, but provide coverage. What is seen and said during these days is critical to Sony's marketing success, so it isn't very surprising that it's a controlled environment. Publishers will be able to decide what content is shown to consumers for the days leading up to launch, and what content must be withheld.

To make matters worse, the use of an NDA means that those in attendance won't be able to just go home and publish the content of their choosing. In other words, everything you hear that week is unlikely to be genuine.

Additionally, Sony has been tight-lipped for a couple of months now, which is the polar opposite of its transparency earlier in the year. During that time span, the delay of Driveclub and Watch Dogs damaged the early line-up of the PS4. EA almost had to delay Battlefield 4, but thankfully is on-schedule for a mid-November debut. That would have been disastrous.

The vibe within the industry is that Sony isn't ready from a software or hardware point for the PS4 launch. The 300 megabyte day one patch that brings critical features to the console is reminiscent of Nintendo's rushed Wii U launch. So is its launch lineup bloated with multiplats with a lackluster first year of exclusives. Deja vu?

Sony has talked the talk, but will it be able to deliver? At launch, probably not. The hype surrounding the console makes it appear that it's a gift from the gaming gods with a supercharged GPU, a focus on gamers, and a price point that fits just about anyone's budget.

But honestly, everything points to it not having the polish it should at launch. If Sony was really ready, it'd be showing it off to media—including Sessler— much earlier, and would show confidence in its launch. For now, it seems anything but. The questions is how this will impact the console in the long-run. We'll find out soon since the PS4 releases soon on November 15th.

Hahaha oh my people are really running with this interpretation. It's just FUD. XBONE is having one of these launch events too.

Hey at least all these negative articles will cause the real issue to be revealed much sooner.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
SvennoJ said:
http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/592511-the-ps4-s-lackluster-first-year-of-exclusive-software-means-you-better-be-patient

Lackluster first year of exclusives? I guess they mean 2013. Sorry but that is FUD in pure form. Dying of boredom? The release schedule for 2014 is insane.

Anyway if that is a problem, maybe journalists can try google, first hit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r4BkAzkCV8 How to bypass HDCP on ps3 and ps4.

Somebody has dropped the ball big time: What I can think of, online multiplayer not ready for CoD ghosts? That would be a big one.

didnt you read my last post?  this is something to do with the PS4.

If its merely a vido capture issue and therefore bad for gaming journalists then I say... ha... tough! to the journalists.

If its more sisnister and indicitive of something else then it is perhaps more interesting.

Yes I did, that's where I got your link from with the FUD of lackluster first year exclusives, which is just 3 launch platform exclusives. Dying of boredom in the first year is nonsense.

About the video capture, again how is this different from the ps3 currently? I though that the ps3 always had HDCP (maybe I'm wrong)

Probably just pissed of journalists not getting a basket full of goodies weeks before launch delivered at their doorstep with a bottle of wine.

SvennoJ said:

i read about this earlier today. from what i understood is that its about journalist, mostly the ones who need to record gameplay. not a big deal for consumers right now.

I feel like Marcus Beer and Sessler are talking about two completely different things.

Sessler is being dramatic and "woe is me, my livelihood is over", whereas Marcus makes this seem like more of an inconvenience and an attack on journalistic integrity (LMAO). I wish these journalists were more transparent. If they see something wrong with the situation, why not write an article about it and let the public know? As far as I know - Adam's bitching about something that must not be a big deal.

Figgycal said:

I feel like Marcus Beer and Sessler are talking about two completely different things.

Sessler is being dramatic and "woe is me, my livelihood is over", whereas Marcus makes this seem like more of an inconvenience and an attack on journalistic integrity (LMAO). I wish these journalists were more transparent. If they see something wrong with the situation, why not write an article about it and let the public know? As far as I know - Adam's bitching about something that must not be a big deal.

I agree with you that it seems like Sessler and Beer are talking about two different things but I disagree with the implication that what Beer is talking about is an inconvenience.

It seems as if Sony is waiting until two days before the PS4 is released to either remove an embargo or possibly provide review systems for journalists.  There were some tweets Beer made which I read, and the implication seemed to me to be game related.  But the article he written that Koweniki linked to seems to suggest journalists don't have review systems. 

That isn't good.  Microsoft sent out review systems months ago.  Journalists have been playing with them for sometime.  Many publishing videos and reviews on the features they're permitted to talk about. 

This may all come to pass as nothing more than a momentary timing issue but if Sony is delaying until the last minute for other reasons, then it may blow up in their face.

JoeTheBro said:
I think you filled the OP with enough speculation.

We really have no idea what it's about. Also it's very flawed of you to rule out Microsoft just because of Albert's comment.

Yes, attack the poster.  Winning strategy JTB.  There is more afoot here then just much ado about nothing.