By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The piratbay discussion thread!

I am assuming that most of you know that The Pirat Bay in Sweden is about to go to court for it´s P2P filesharing.

1.What do you guys think, should they be jailed for providing an online tracker?

2.So you think the movie,music and game buisness has to adapt and change their buisness modell?

3.Do you think they will need to change their buisness modell to surviv?

4.Is it a good thing that the piratbay exists?

5. Do you think that in the future games, movies and music will need to be more of a fresh(new) product to sell?

Plese asnwer and discuss and add with your own theories.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

I think people should follow the law and respect people's work.

1. its "the pirate bay"

2. the site is completely legal

3. if they go to jail it just shows how stupid politicians and the legal systems around the world are.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I want to add, I know nothing about the specifics of piratebay...

their user policy

Usage policy for The Pirate Bay tracker system.

Our tracker system (hereby "the tracker") is free of charge for anyone for personal usage. Organizations (for instance, but not limited to, non-profit or companies) may use the system if they clear this with the system operators first. Permission for organizations/companies is not needed for obvious "well meaning" usage, i.e. distributing works of cultural benefit for the end user.

The tracker may not be used by anyone with the intention to track usage, log ip addresses/usage or anything else that we consider intrusion of privacy or disruption of tracker service. If you are not sure if this would be the case for your usage, please contact us in order to get our permission.

The tracker is run privately. That means that we do not guarantee that the tracker will be available for users at all time but we try our best to make the tracker run stable. We take no responsibility for loss of income or similar due to tracker downtime/failure.

The responsibility lies upon the user to not spread malicious, false or illegal material using the tracker. We do not censor but we do block people that use our service wrongfully (i.e. commercial organizations that have not cleared the usage with us first).

We reserve the rights to charge for usage of the tracker in case this policy is violated. The charge will consist of a basic fee of EUR 5000 plus bandwidth and other costs that may arise due to the violation. Personal usage, although violating this policy, will not be charged. We will simply block those users.

We also reserve the rights to publish any information regarding violations. Info hashes, IP addresses and all other information that is supplied to the tracker
will be considered our right to publish.

This policy may change at any time, please check in before using the tracker.

Connecting to any of our trackers means that you accept this policy agreement.

Last updated: 2007-07-04

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

The pirat bay is perfecly legal by Swedish law and it´s American corporations that are pushing for this to go to court.

So I will add a question:

6 Do you think it´s fair the corporations can push to this extent to get their will through?

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

1.Jailed? I don't know it depends on how much piracy could of prevented with more stringent controls yet keeping the site viable for legitimate use. I don't know swedish law but the pirate bay did host a lot of trackers for copyrighted material. I don't think any copyrigth infraction should be jailtime though I do think fines are reasonable provided the fines are actually reasonable.

2.Yes very much so. We have the Itunes store and a few other options out there right now but the competition is weak and it is not like retail yet plus I don't want to be tied to Itunes software to buy movies/music online.

3.Yes I do. I think the all of the industries need to adjust their pricing scheme for online they also need to open availability through competition.

4.Yes and no. I do believe as long as current system are inadequate that the torrent sites provide a great service. For instance the other day I was able to download Dr. Mobius and M 2 movies which are hard to find. I also hope it will push the RIAA and MPAA to find ways to increase their actual presence in the online market place aside from law suits. It also is a great place to find a bunch of none copyrighted stuff stock footage and even start up animations and videos.

5. It doesn't all have to be fresh. I think like always something fresh has to be introduced into any market to keep it from leveling or even receding but it has nothign to do with going online. Regular business models apply. Not selling enough on a high profit margin item sell it for less and you can sell more and make more profit or you can get burned and sell the same and make less profit.

@vaio
6. No it isn't fair or right. Corporations should have no say in law at all, apart from to alert the authorities about suspected breaches of law. If the authorities refuse to take action then tough.
On another note- Long live the 'Bay.

I use torrentz when my game discs will no longer read. I use the key I bought. I also use them for music you can't find in a store like concerts(audio and video). There are perfectly legitimate and legal reasons to use places like TPB.

So what do you win if your prefered console sells more than another?

If they called it 'Pirate bay' then quite clearly the expected it to be used for piracy. So yeah, it should be shut down, mind you I feel the same about Limewire.