By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Shin'en: If you can't make great looking games on Wii U, it's not the hardware's fault

@Everyone

People here need to stop attacking/defending about the WII U's hardware. It's going to be the games that will show which console is more worthwhile to purchase not the one with the better hardware. Everyone here calm the F#ck down, your all getting extremely riled up over something pretty trivial such as the WII U's hardware. I'm a PC gamer also and even I understand the the fact that software sells hardware. 

Around the Network
ninjablade said:
JoeTheBro said:
ninjablade said:

The fact that GTA5 looks better in every department then X, from models, lighting, textures, animation and AA, you would think fpeople would stop bringing up X but they still do, i swear if bayo2, mario kart 8 and X were were on 360/ps3 nobody would call them the best looking games on those consoles.

Well bayo2 and mario kart run at 1080p 60 fps last I heard so no, they are far from impossible on ps360. Do we know what res X is?

bayo 2 and mario kart 8 are most likely 720p, x will be 720p

Bayo2 is rumored to be 1080p ATM, but rumors are just rumors, it has no more nor less credibility than your 720p claim until the softwares release.

dahuman said:
ninjablade said:
JoeTheBro said:
ninjablade said:

The fact that GTA5 looks better in every department then X, from models, lighting, textures, animation and AA, you would think fpeople would stop bringing up X but they still do, i swear if bayo2, mario kart 8 and X were were on 360/ps3 nobody would call them the best looking games on those consoles.

Well bayo2 and mario kart run at 1080p 60 fps last I heard so no, they are far from impossible on ps360. Do we know what res X is?

Bayo2 is rumored to be 1080p ATM, but rumors are just rumors, it has no more nor less credibility than your 720p claim until the softwares release.

if bayo 2 is 1080p/60fps i will ban myself forever, and wiiu has impressed me and is indeed 2x more powerful then currentgen.

Mr Khan said:
ninjablade said:
Mr Khan said:

But what's the gain from hiding this? Developers have to know, even if they can't talk about it, and they're the ones who are more likely to be concerned by technical shortcomings. Most gamers don't know what the hell any of this means, and many know less than they claim, as these endless threads about it demonstrate (not trying to take a pot shot at anyone with that statement, btw, we're all guilty of it to some extent), so what is there to be "embarrassed" about that you'd go to the time and effort to keep the public in the dark?

well then why are they keeping it a secret thats the only thing i can think of, they don't want the negative press all over the internet.

Statistics are easy to massage, and raw numbers for computing performance all the more so due to the important role architecture plays above and beyond the output of any individual component.

And again, who would care? Is 160sps or 320sps going to make Mario Kart 8 any better or any worse? Certainly a company like Nintendo who, while they have historically not shyed away from making robust consoles, also have not made too many games in their entire history that really relied on their technical aspects to sell them, could afford to be wholly upfront and still make and sell the games that they've always made, moreso than any other company.

apparently nintendo cares thats why the specs are top secret.

ninjablade said:
dahuman said:
ninjablade said:

if bayo 2 is 1080p/60fps i will ban myself forever, and wiiu has impressed me and is indeed 2x more powerful then currentgen.

What I can tell you so far is that the E3/PAX Prime demo looked really good(online videos can't show it off due to the higher FPS, I was under the impression that textures weren't that great but I knew I was wrong when I saw the game running in real time) and performance was right there when I played and feels even more amazing than the first game. I did see some graphical bugs since my eyes are really trained but apparently they are known issues that will be fixed after I made some inquries. If they can get that kind of performance already in an early demo build in 720p, then 1080p isn't entirely impossible if they optimize the code more, though I'm leaning towards 720p final as well, I'd be surprised otherwise.

Around the Network
dahuman said:
ninjablade said:
dahuman said:
ninjablade said:

What I can tell you so far is that the E3/PAX Prime demo looked really good(online videos can't show it off due to the higher FPS, I was under the impression that textures weren't that great but I knew I was wrong when I saw the game running in real time) and performance was right there when I played and feels even more amazing than the first game. I did see some graphical bugs since my eyes are really trained but apparently they are known issues that will be fixed after I made some inquries. If they can get that kind of performance already in an early demo build in 720p, then 1080p isn't entirely impossible if they optimize the code more, though I'm leaning towards 720p final as well, I'd be surprised otherwise.

yea jumping from 720p to 1080 only requires 2.5x the rendering power, should be breeze.

dahuman said:
ninjablade said:
dahuman said:
ninjablade said:

I'd also say 720p as well too. 

ninjablade said:
dahuman said:
ninjablade said:

yea jumping from 720p to 1080 only requires 2.5x the rendering power, should be breeze.

That has more to do with the rendering pipeline memory speed and fillrate than pure raw power, since I'm not a Wii U dev, I don't have the information on any of that. It's not just a pixel % count like many would believe, you need to spend less time on Neogaf or Beyond3D and study on the subject more if you are actually interested, out of every 100 tech users from those sites, only about 2-3 are actually really good and know their shit, rest are either idiots or amateurs, I'm talking about even the devs, I can't stress how many idiots are in every field of a job.

If deSome people need to realize that this system will not create better graphics for someone just for being a bit faster. Also, people are underestimating the DX 10.1/11 functionality, which will likely be more to use once PS360 get phased out. While they're still around, ports for Wii U will likely get the "easy way" treatment, where DX 9 quality stuff is easier to do since Wii U is powerful enough to run most PS360 games without much optimizations. Optimizations for Wii U will require quite a few things, like offloading SIMD / floating point to GPU and let the CPU focus on strengths, use all other dedicated components to offload tasks, and take better advantage of the eDRAM and use it efficiently. If developers hit issues with development, then it's truly their problem. Though, much of this could have been solved if Nintendo put in beefier hardware.

dahuman said:
ninjablade said:
dahuman said:
ninjablade said:

That has more to do with the rendering pipeline memory speed and fillrate than pure raw power, since I'm not a Wii U dev, I don't have the information on any of that. It's not just a pixel % count like many would believe, you need to spend less time on Neogaf or Beyond3D and study on the subject more if you are actually interested, out of every 100 users from those sites, only about 2-3 are actually really good and know their shit, rest are either idiots or amateurs, I'm talking about even the devs, I can't stress how many idiots are in every field of a job.

BTW if you want to know about the pixel fillrate the WII U has like 8 ROPS and that is the same amount as the PS3 and both of them are clocked at 550 Mhz which gives you 4.4 gigapixels.