By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - 1up - Beyond the Orange Box with Gabe Newell

*edit* Well, more than just Gabe Newell, but he kicks it off by answering the first questions. Still, I usually find the things the people at Valve have done in making their game to be a good read.  

"Orange Box almost feels like the result of a bet: "How many crazy risks can you take all at once?" The result was an episodic Half-Life installment, a Team Fortress sequel that went in a novel and unanticipated artistic direction, and a three-hour game taking place almost entirely inside an actual Skinner box, all packed together in the grandest experiment of all. Somehow, against all odds, every one of those risks paid off.

Before picking the brains of the people responsible for each individual title we had a chat with Gabe Newell about what Valve has done and where they're going next."

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3165930

Around the Network

Sweet read!... I totally LOVE the orange box! 5 games for the price of 1... And all excelent!

Sad thing it didn't do too well on the PS3... Great game(s) still!

THE NETHERLANDS

Really great read.

My favorite parts:

Why there is no movie. I think a movie can be good for some games because it expand the audience, but for Half-life it is superfluous.

The portal pages, the game is genious and I like how they came to build it.

TF2 talk about randomness, about the ego.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.