By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - My Potential New PC...input wanted!!

superchunk said:
Sorry, sticking with MS OS.

I think I may switch to this Motherboard though as I don't need SLi.

$79.99 ASUS M2N AM2 NVIDIA nForce 430 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

That would save me another $50.

Well get XP pro instead of Vista and save another $50. Vista sucks IMO.

Also, a few said it and I agree, I would go with Intel instead of AMD.

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

Around the Network

just go with the PC i built for you above you will be OK for a few years

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

superchunk said:
ok, I'm wrong I found two Pentium class dual cores for about $75 but, both have lower bus speeds and are clocked 1.6 and 1.8Ghz. But, they do have larger Cache.

Still, don't see how this is better than what I have picked.

Please be quiet, you know nothing about modern PC hardware.

Intel > AMD right now by a long shot. Ghz means damn near nothing anymore,  it's all about efficiency. The 2.2ghz Allendale would outperform the 2.1ghz 4000+ handily. Very handily.

@xbebop...go away.

@ssj12

Ok, I've done some new reading and yes you are all right. Intel has definitely changed since the last PC I built. Also, I think I will follow my original thoughts and stick with XP, but I will get the Pro version so I can develop easier.

However, comparing what you put, ssj12, and what I have I see some things I think might be better on my side.

Here's my ideas.

1. Why the ASUS dvd drive vs my Lite-on? Lite-on is $3 cheaper with same feature set.

2. Why the Geforce 8500 over my choice of 8600. The 8600 has twice the memory, is rated a lot faster/better on Tom's Hardware. For $50 I think it is a better choice. Also, I look at newegg's ratings and number of purchases. the 8600 has been purchased a lot more and is rated very well.

3. My case. Is there a brand of cases that is just better. I always have trouble picking a decent one. The one I have looks ok and from what the reviews say it should be fine, but, I was just curious. None of you have commented on it yet.

With my two changes and XP Pro I'm at $983.89. I am also going to drop MS Home I have above and test out Open Office. If it seems to have conflicts with MSOffice stuff then I will buy later.

BTW, thanks ssj12 for your time in putting that together.

oohhh. one other thing. I usually shy away from Kingston's Hyper X memory due to its price being double others. Is it really a lot better than the regular versions?

Around the Network
superchunk said:
@xbebop...go away.

@ssj12

Ok, I've done some new reading and yes you are all right. Intel has definitely changed since the last PC I built. Also, I think I will follow my original thoughts and stick with XP, but I will get the Pro version so I can develop easier.

However, comparing what you put, ssj12, and what I have I see some things I think might be better on my side.

Here's my ideas.

1. Why the ASUS dvd drive vs my Lite-on? Lite-on is $3 cheaper with same feature set.

2. Why the Geforce 8500 over my choice of 8600. The 8600 has twice the memory, is rated a lot faster/better on Tom's Hardware. For $50 I think it is a better choice. Also, I look at newegg's ratings and number of purchases. the 8600 has been purchased a lot more and is rated very well.

3. My case. Is there a brand of cases that is just better. I always have trouble picking a decent one. The one I have looks ok and from what the reviews say it should be fine, but, I was just curious. None of you have commented on it yet.

With my two changes and XP Pro I'm at $983.89. I am also going to drop MS Home I have above and test out Open Office. If it seems to have conflicts with MSOffice stuff then I will buy later.

BTW, thanks ssj12 for your time in putting that together.

1. I prefer ASUS over lite-on. I have had like 8 Lite-On drives fail but no Samsung or ASUS fail.

2. Its your choice I was going as cheap I I could to fit the term "multi-media"

3. I really dont care what it is as it works but it isnt a Multi-Media case. This is more fitting.

4. its the highest rated DDR2 1066 based ram. Dont worry its faster then what ram you had selected for you picks as the motherboard I picked supports faster ram. =P

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

ssj12 said:

$14.99 Rosewill RNX-G300E IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card up to 54Mbps Data Rates Hardware-Base Encryption/Decryption Using 64-,128bit WEP keys, WPA and WPA2 are also supported - WINDOWS VISTA READY - Retail

Only real problem with ssj12's recommendation is this.

@superchunk:  If you will be getting a lot of use out of wireless, pay a bit more for something better.  Also, for future reference, disregard anything you see regarding WEP.  It's basically a flashing neon sign reading "Free internet here."  Not that WPA (PSK) is not brute forceable itself, but it's far stronger.

you should shoot for a quad core intel. Get at least the 8800GTS card, if not the GTX, but make sure to have a power supply greater than 400w and good filtration/cooling.

For 4GB memory, make sure it isn't a manufacturor's bios or you won't be able to do a memory remap and will only register 3GB of the memory.  

Words Of Wisdom said:
ssj12 said:

$14.99 Rosewill RNX-G300E IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card up to 54Mbps Data Rates Hardware-Base Encryption/Decryption Using 64-,128bit WEP keys, WPA and WPA2 are also supported - WINDOWS VISTA READY - Retail

@superchunk:  If you will be getting a lot of use out of wireless, pay a bit more for something better.  Also, for future reference, disregard anything you see regarding WEP.  It's basically a flashing neon sign reading "Free internet here."  Not that WPA (PSK) is not brute forceable itself, but it's far stronger.

my wireless adapter supports WPA and WPA, Its fine. 

ssj12 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
ssj12 said:

@superchunk: If you will be getting a lot of use out of wireless, pay a bit more for something better. Also, for future reference, disregard anything you see regarding WEP. It's basically a flashing neon sign reading "Free internet here." Not that WPA (PSK) is not brute forceable itself, but it's far stronger.

my wireless adapter supports WPA and WPA, Its fine.

You've misread what I said (or its meaning).  It supports WPA, but it's a piece of crap.  I mentioned the WEP vs WPA thing as a general FYI.