By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - "Microsoft Poised to Rule Entertainment, Devices World"

I'm getting little tired of these kind off news, but...

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2125544,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153719

http://gonintendo.com/?p=17284

Part that was posted at Gonintendo:

"

E: So, is Nintendo disrupting things for you, or were you surprised to see them?

RB: I’m actually not—the product has gotten more broad-base acclaim that I would have expected. It’s a very nice product, but it actually has a relatively specific audience and a fairly specific appeal, frankly, based on one feature, which is the controller itself. And the rest of the product is actually not a great product—no disrespect, but … the video graphics on it aren’t very strong; the box itself is kind of underpowered; it doesn’t play DVDs; there are a lot of down-line components [that] aren’t actually that interesting.

In the casual space they’re going to do very well, because the controller is pretty intuitive and the game experience is pretty simple, and Nintendo can produce a lot of those simple game experiences themselves.

The challenge they have is that third parties aren’t going to make much money on this platform because Nintendo is going to make all that money, and their ability to compete with something like a Halo or produce an experience like Madden on their system is going to be tough. They don’t have the graphics horsepower that even Xbox 1 had. So it makes sort of the comparison set a little bit difficult.

So the challenge for us is how do we drive to more casual users, and how do we bring more casual experiences to Xbox and Windows? And the challenge for them is figuring out, “Hey, how do I broaden beyond a casual demographic?” We’ll see how that plays out.

It’s interesting to note that a year ago if somebody had said, “Hey, we won’t be discussing Sony,” that’s an interesting statement, and I think something that frankly hasn’t been written about very much.

E: So, do you feel that Nintendo is a more fierce competitor than Sony?

I think Nintendo and Microsoft are clearly in the driver’s seat on what’s happening in this generation. And they’re different driver’s seats. In a way, … our circle and Sony’s circle overlap I would say 90 percent. Nintendo’s circle and Microsoft’s overlap say 20, 25, 30 percent, something like that. We had people laughing and call it the Wii 360 because you already see a lot of dual-household ownership.

But Sony I think has some real challenges. They’ve got a pricing problem, they have a cost problem, they have a content problem, and they don’t have an online service. But I’m just talking about the psychology of me doing an interview with you as a reporter coming in and not uttering the word Sony without me bringing it up. "

Those bolded sections are irritating me:

Third parties: Haven't Ea and Ubisoft already made bundle of money off the Wii games ?

Madden: I have read from various article's and review's that Wii's Madden was best of them.

Grapfix: Isn't Wii a little more powerfull than X-box1 ?

I think they are just starting to realise that Nintendo and Wii are threatening them.

Just my 2 cent's of ramble. :p

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Around the Network

Ms is like a bunch of monkeys in the jungle throwing crap at everything, its sad they don't realize they are cowered in crap them selfs.

I don't think he knows what he's taking about. First he says

"the product has gotten more broad-base acclaim that I would have expected. "

Then he says "it actually has a relatively specific audience"

He is obviously clueless. I want a real jerk of a journalist to be asking the questions. They are being way too nice. I want the reporter to follow up with a question like:

"If your product is much superior, then why do you think Nintendo's is out selling yours and is quickly closing the gap of systems sold?"

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

mancandy said:

I don't think he knows what he's taking about. First he says

"the product has gotten more broad-base acclaim that I would have expected. "

Then he says "it actually has a relatively specific audience"

He is obviously clueless. I want a real jerk of a journalist to be asking the questions. They are being way too nice. I want the reporter to follow up with a question like:

"If your product is much superior, then why do you think Nintendo's is out selling yours and is quickly closing the gap of systems sold?"

Journalism is dead ... What we have now is advertizement whoring and political pandering.

The person doing the interview knows that all Microsoft is doing is using this interview as a marketing opportunity but won't do anything about it for fear of losing future exclusives and XBox related advertizing ...

HappySqurriel said:

Journalism is dead ... What we have now is advertizement whoring and political pandering.

The person doing the interview knows that all Microsoft is doing is using this interview as a marketing opportunity but won't do anything about it for fear of losing future exclusives and XBox related advertizing ...

You are right. That's why we need someone like you, who has the nuts to go and ask real questions. These questions feel like they are set up just so MS can say these sorts of things. The reporter doesn't even know enough to say what RB said was wrong concerning Madden and the Wii's power. If any member of this site was doing the interview, we would probably say: "Reviews for Wii's Madden actually say it provides a better experience than the Xbox360's version"

EDIT: I've also never seen an interview with MS asking them about their situation in Japan and what they are planning to do about it. I want to hear what MS has to say.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Around the Network

MS can put out whatever FUD they like. Now that the 360 actually has some competition (and MS sort of missed their window), the numbers will speak for themselves and MS will start looking more and more like fools (with these sort of articles).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

The only MS product I plan on getting for quite a while would be Vista, but not because I want to. Being a computer technician occasionally sucks. :(

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

vanguardian1 said:
The only MS product I plan on getting for quite a while would be Vista, but not because I want to. Being a computer technician occasionally sucks. :(

Everyone I know that owns Vista hates it, most went back to XP

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)