By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 2013 PS3 games not on PS4... Discuss

Beyond: Two Souls, The Last of Us, Gran Turismo 6, Puppeteer.

Does anyone else find it a bit weird that none of these have been announced for PS4? 

Ubisoft, EA, Activision are all bringing "cross-gen" games at Launch (ACIV, BF4, COD, Watch Dogs, etc). Yet Sony themselves aren't releasing any cross-gen games. I just find it funny that everyone else is releasing cross-gen, while the console makers Sony have the most invested in PS4, and aren't releasing cross-gen games. 

The Last of Us in particular is a game I thought would definitely be ready for PS4 launch. They could use the cutscene character models as in-game models, and increase it to 1080p and 60fps... also include the Documentary on the game as a bonus. It would be worth buying for people that havent played it yet. Some people would even double dip. 

Beyond is another odd one. It's coming out right around the same time as PS4, but will only be on PS3. I think this game is going to bomb hard on PS3, as Sony will most likely be focused on advertising PS4 by then. 

Puppeteer.... this could atleast be available on PS4 as a downloadable title at launch. Seems like a waste to only keep it on PS3. Once November comes around, I will barely turn my PS3 on anymore. 

Around the Network

Cross gen games would be really difficult to do because of the architecture differences between the PS3 and 4. The games would need to have been developed with cross gen in mind and none of them were. Puppeteer being downloadable would be useless because the PS4 isn't backward compatible with the PS3 (and this is very bad indeed). I do agree that Beyond won't do as well as it should, but it won't bomb.

IamAwsome said:
Cross gen games would be really difficult to do because of the architecture differences between the PS3 and 4. The games would need to have been developed with cross gen in mind and none of them were. Puppeteer being downloadable would be useless because the PS4 isn't backward compatible with the PS3 (and this is very bad indeed). I do agree that Beyond won't do as well as it should, but it won't bomb.

I have to call bullshit on this.

If Ubisoft, Ea, and Activision can do it..... It should be even easier for Sony's first parties. 

9087 said:
IamAwsome said:

If Ubisoft, Ea, and Activision can do it..... It should be even easier for Sony's first parties. 

It's easier for third parties because, 

Activision: All they really develop nowadays is Call of Duty, and we all know how much it's rehashed, so it's not hard to make on PS4. 

EA: Several of EA's teams always share engines and pool resources, so cross development isn't hard for them. 

Ubisoft: On a lot of their cross gen titles, especially Watch_Dogs, they have two seperate teams working on the PS3/360 versions, and the PS4/XB1/and Wii U versions. 

Several of Sonys studions have more than one team, but they usually work on completely different projects rather than current/next gen versons of the same project. 

Gran turismo should have been a launch title because it would be a best way to show the graphical capabilities of the ps4

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

''You tend to think that there is a big gap between F1 and everything else. F1 is where all the fantastic drivers are, so you just don't know how good you are until you get there''.                  

Jean Alesi

Around the Network
DestructorGT said:
Gran turismo should have been a launch title because it would be a best way to show the graphical capabilities of the ps4

No. Safe bet. Best possible graphics on Ps3. Next iteration will make use of the full capabilities the Ps4 has to offer. But never this early in a console's life.

I would much rather Naught Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Quantic Dream, and Polyphony Digital work on their next project on the PS4 rather than waste time porting PS3 games to PS4.

9087 said:
IamAwsome said:

Third party developers like Ubisoft, EA and Activision create games with code bases that are flexible and easy to port between a variety of systems like the PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U and PC. Since these games are so flexible and most of them are on PC, porting them to the PC-like PS4 and XBOne is trivial. First party games for PS3 are not meant to run on the dramatically different PC architecture, so porting them would be much more involved.

Desktop: AMD Phenom X4 955, ATI Radeon 7950 :: Laptop: Intel i7-3532QM, ATI Radeon 7670m

Consoles: 3DS XL, PS Vita, Zelda 3DS, PS3 Super Slim, DSi, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, Wii, GameCube, PS2

Now Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Persona 4: Golden

I read that Sony's studios are all working on PS4 games now anyway, also with Gaikai Sony have the potential to offer games from the PS3 catalogue that can be streamed to the PS4 so there would be no need for reprogramming etc if they did. If and when Sony does this I am sure the best games from the PS3 would become available for the PS4.

DestructorGT said:

GT would kill DC on the ps4. DC would bomb hard on the ps3.. So this is the best way in my opinion.

@OT: Maybe a GoTY version of TLoU and Beyond will be released on the ps4, I don't see any problems with that.

And puppeteer and R&C into the nexus could easy be cross-gen. But I don't see any point in doing that unless the ps4 will hit a drought like the wiiU. But that's probably not going to happen.

9087 said:

Beyond is another odd one. It's coming out right around the same time as PS4, but will only be on PS3. I think this game is going to bomb hard on PS3, as Sony will most likely be focused on advertising PS4 by then. 

I don't think Beyond Two Souls will be Spectacular but I also don't think it will  bomb hard, going by USA pre-orders alone it seems to be doing ok. 

Beyond: Two Souls (PS3)
Sony Computer Entertainment, Adventure
8 1,883 106,130