By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Microsoft and Sony killing Inovation" says industry vet Mitch Lasky

kingofwale said:
>It states that small companies don't have the money to work on PS360 projects and that small companies usually come up with innovative ideas. The article has nothing to do with Wii vs. PS360.

hey, you know what? Welcome to capitalism! and small companies come up with innovative ideas, but they have no money to implement it, which means, it goes to waste. That's why you have huge corps spending millions to improve technology and on new ideas.

Also, we must clarify what's the definition of "innovation" and how it differs from "innovative ideas". creative the fastest chip is, create a controller that waggle isn't. The former means building something from the ground up that has NEVER been seen before. The latter just uses the technology we already have today and make difference use for it. Wii is fun and cool, but it's not the definition of innovation. it's a "innovative idea", Look at Ipod, it's nothing new about them, it's just innovative.

Don't know man, to me its the same thing, a inovative idea is inovation its self. Technology has nothing to do with it. And what chips have created something you have nver seen before?

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

Around the Network

Considering games on the wii have budgets of 20mil plus i don't see how its the HD consoles wrecking anything. There are also many games on the 360/PS3 that don't cost alot to make and bring in lots of cash. FF7 was over 30mil, shenmue was over 40mil or something, and lots of games last gen were up at 20mil too.

Innovation is totally based on opinion. I thought it was innovative for sony to include a BD drive in their PS3, but many people thought otherwise.

I have a massive question to the OP, why is Innovation the new Fun? I'm personally much more concerned with playing good games then playing "different" ones. Innovation hasn't gone anywhere with the PS3 and the 360, it's not "magically lost", developers are still trying to keep there series's fresh, and personally adding things like Online Play, 4-8 player story co-op, Six-axis controls for flying segments, and games like Everyday shooter keep the market plenty fresh while leaving core gameplay at it's finest.

Yes there titles are expensive to produce, but I've heard games on PSN really aren't >_>; They both offer a service that lets you put out low budget, creative hook titles for a fraction of the cost of the "epic monstrosities" I disagree with the article.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

^ agree

But innovation doesnt have to be something physical. It can be systemic or programmic. Because of wii, people have lost sight of that. hence why I mentioned Gamer achievements.

Around the Network

I was agreeing with bornfist

@Griffin

Didn't Sony also put a HUGE advertising campaign on that also? I wonder what the total money spent on FF7 was. 

DMeisterJ said:
Innovation is totally based on opinion. I thought it was innovative for sony to include a BD drive in their PS3, but many people thought otherwise.

Thats because it doesnt enhance games at all. And I download HD films for free. So there is wasted money there for me not innovation.

IllegalPaladin said:

I don't know if FF7 would be the best game to bring up, it may not have cost a lot to make, but I heard (from gametrailer's Final Fantasy Retrospective feature) that Sony put a CRAP LOAD of advertising, which I would consider one of the costs of the game as well as just developing it.

Unless of course you were factoring in the advertising campaign cost of course.

FF7 in terms of money was much more expensive to develop than any previous title.

kingofwale said:
>It states that small companies don't have the money to work on PS360 projects and that small companies usually come up with innovative ideas. The article has nothing to do with Wii vs. PS360.

hey, you know what? Welcome to capitalism! and small companies come up with innovative ideas, but they have no money to implement it, which means, it goes to waste. That's why you have huge corps spending millions to improve technology and on new ideas.

Also, we must clarify what's the definition of "innovation" and how it differs from "innovative ideas". creative the fastest chip is, create a controller that waggle isn't. The former means building something from the ground up that has NEVER been seen before. The latter just uses the technology we already have today and make difference use for it. Wii is fun and cool, but it's not the definition of innovation. it's a "innovative idea", Look at Ipod, it's nothing new about them, it's just innovative.
 from dictionary.com 

in·no·va·tion      [in-uh-vey-shuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun
1.something new or different introduced: numerous innovations in the high-school curriculum.
2.the act of innovating; introduction of new things or methods.