By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Study on HDTV owners... Happy with DVD players?

whatever said:
I think its partly due to the fact that DVDs at 16X9,480p are MUCH better than standard TV broadcasts at 4X3,480i. They are already seeing a hugh improvement.

Of course, HD/BR are so more better. I wouldn't want to go back.

I remember going from antenna picture to satillite. Man was that an improvement. Watching golf was so different, because you could actually see the ball when it went up into the sky. lol

And we're still waiting for high speed internet to come our way. We live out in the middle of nowhere.

The survey was talking about people who owned HDTVs, and asked them whether they wanted an HD-player of some kind. Since I don't have an HDTV, nor have I ever "experienced" watching something on one, I can't really say if I'd want a HD-player to go with it. If I was going to drop that much money on a HDTV, I don't see why I wouldn't get a HD-player, especially since they can also play DVDs. Course, I don't have the money to get a HDTV, and I certainly don't have the money for the player or HD movies. I don't even think my local rental store has HD movies yet.

Around the Network
Faxanadu said:
well, it only improves the "graphics". content stays same old shit.

it also allows for higher quality sound....

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

HappySqurriel said:

Honestly, as long as people get the majority of their content in SD people will be reluctant to spend a lot of additional money to buy HD content ...

This means that either HD movie players and movies have to come down to a price where people will simply buy the HD movie player, or cable companies have to offer enough inexpensive HD content for people to become used to the improvement. Currently, there are way too many people (like me) who will be asked to spend more money from their cable company for HD signals which are often not even HD (many "HD" channels play a ton of 480p content).

most of the time its only commercials in 480p the main programs are 720p/1080i, at least from BrightHouse anyways. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

ssj12 said:
Faxanadu said:

Only if you have a high quality sound system. From any HDtv it will sound the same. (dvd vs bluray) Hell, even then most people won't notice. DVD's mostly use pretty good sound as it is, I seriously bet less than 10% of HDTV + High Quality Sound System owners would notice a difference between a dvd and bluray.

If bluray wants to eventually beat DVD it needs to seriously drop the price as HD live feed content becomes standard in the next couple of years. Otherwise I just don't see people switching in mass.

ditto on dvd being enough :)

Around the Network
superchunk said:
ssj12 said:
Faxanadu said:

Only if you have a high quality sound system. From any HDtv it will sound the same. (dvd vs bluray) Hell, even then most people won't notice. DVD's mostly use pretty good sound as it is, I seriously bet less than 10% of HDTV + High Quality Sound System owners would notice a difference between a dvd and bluray.

If bluray wants to eventually beat DVD it needs to seriously drop the price as HD live feed content becomes standard in the next couple of years. Otherwise I just don't see people switching in mass.

well considering the lowest priced Blu-ray player is $249... within the next year it should be around $100 for the 2.0 compatible players.

@ssj12, that's definitely a more reasonable switch price. Plus, I think the discs need to be the same as DVD's or at most $5 more.

wiiforever said:
my family only has a DVD player and we're happy. No need to spend that much $$ for a slightly better picture

Does your family own an HD TV? If so, then you should know that dvd's look very bad on an HD TV. Its not a slightly better picture, its a much higher quality.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

I am satisfied with my upscaling DVD player.  Bluray looks nice and all, but I am not going to rebuy all of my favorite movies.   It also doesn't help that there are at most 2 really buy worthy movies each year. 

zackblue said:
wiiforever said:
my family only has a DVD player and we're happy. No need to spend that much $$ for a slightly better picture

Does your family own an HD TV? If so, then you should know that dvd's look very bad on an HD TV. Its not a slightly better picture, its a much higher quality.

What are you smokin'?  DVD's do not look bad on an HDtv. I am sure there will be some that do, i.e. ones that are really old like Terminator 1 that even has mono sound. But, in general a properly connect dvd player, i.e. use good cables, looks good on any quality HDTV.