By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should I import a PS3?

ferret1603 said:

I live in the UK where there's no BC and they're extremely expensive. A friend is going to the US and has offered to bring stuff back so I'm thinking about a 60gb PS3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of importing? So far I have:

Advantages:

• Much cheaper
  • Games are region free

Disadvantages:

• Can only play US/Jap Blu-Ray discs
  • BC with US games only

Any others? What's the situation with using the store and home in a foreign country?

There is a very good chance that you WILL HAVE to pay import tax/custom fees!!  Goods over a certain value are vulnerable to it.  For example if you import a DVD costing over £17.99 you will pay fees.

Stiil it could work out cheaper than buying from UK, check with custom and exports.

Around the Network

IMHO the main problem is support and warranty. What if the ps3 is defective ?

tmbh said:
ferret1603 said:

I live in the UK where there's no BC and they're extremely expensive. A friend is going to the US and has offered to bring stuff back so I'm thinking about a 60gb PS3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of importing? So far I have:

Advantages:

• Much cheaper
  • Games are region free

Disadvantages:

• Can only play US/Jap Blu-Ray discs
  • BC with US games only

Any others? What's the situation with using the store and home in a foreign country?

There is a very good chance that you WILL HAVE to pay import tax/custom fees!! Goods over a certain value are vulnerable to it. For example if you import a DVD costing over £17.99 you will pay fees.

Stiil it could work out cheaper than buying from UK, check with custom and exports.

Edit: Probably best not to post what I just did on a public forum! TBH I think I'm probably going to wait til there's a proper UK release of a decent PS3 so I don't have to import all the PS2 games and Blu-Ray discs.